Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sebf

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2006
UK
I am currently looking to replace my current power strip with one of these new energy saving power strips, which will automatically switch off all my other devices (e.g. external drives, hi-fi's etc) and their energy wasting transformers.

While this looks fine for a Desktop PC or Mac as it can detect the power usage change when it switches on and off, I am not too sure if it would detect the power change with a Mac Mini as it uses a transformer.

Does anyone know if this would work with a Mac Mini?

PCMacUser

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2005
That's quite a technical question. I think you'd be better off trying to contact them directly for an answer.

The device looks like a really good idea though.

PCMacUser

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2005
Actually, I just found the product you need:

Laptop Intellipanel - USBIMP205

-USB Auto-Calibration – The IntelliPanel™ continuously identifies when the Laptop is being used and will only switch your peripherals on/off when appropriate. At the right time, every time.

-PC and MAC compatible.

I reckon this would do the trick - the Mac Mini is just a laptop computer without a screen after all...

JNB

macrumors 604
You'd be better off shutting down.

The one you linked to in particular has a bit of a smell to it, lots of claims, little technical proof. Maybe not in the same vein as stainless steel pellets to drop into your gas tank, but not far from it, either. I'd hold off on a gadget like this until there's been some independent testing & public review.

sebf

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2006
UK
Actually, I just found the product you need:

Laptop Intellipanel - USBIMP205

-USB Auto-Calibration – The IntelliPanel™ continuously identifies when the Laptop is being used and will only switch your peripherals on/off when appropriate. At the right time, every time.

-PC and MAC compatible.

I reckon this would do the trick - the Mac Mini is just a laptop computer without a screen after all...
Although the only problem I can see with the laptop version is it would be checking to see if theres any USB activity, if not it will shut the power supply off, which means you wouldn't be able to turn the Mac Mini on again (as its not powered by battery like a laptop).

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
I don't know about the device in question, but all computers have a transformer. the mini's just happens to be external. If you've ever opened a computer it has a power supply which is just a transformer, Pretty much everything inside runs at 5 or 12 volts.

PCMacUser

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2005
Although the only problem I can see with the laptop version is it would be checking to see if theres any USB activity, if not it will shut the power supply off, which means you wouldn't be able to turn the Mac Mini on again (as its not powered by battery like a laptop).

No I don't think it works like that. In fact they say on their website that you have to run a laptop on it without its battery for it to work.

sebf

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2006
UK
No I don't think it works like that. In fact they say on their website that you have to run a laptop on it without its battery for it to work.
Ah ok, I did send them an email yesterday to which I got the reply:
OneClickPower said:
With reference to your enquiry, we wish to recommend the USB version of our product as being the most suitable for use with Apple Mac computers due to the following reasons:

• Some Apple Mac products use a lower amount of power which may not be detected by our other products.
  • The Apple Mac needs to be shut down rather than left in sleep or hibernation mode.
  • An internal conflict may cause some USB peripheral equipment to wake up the computer.
As these issues do not lie with our product, we have contacted Apple Mac in order to resolve them however; they have acknowledged there are problems with some of their products but are unable to address them at the present time.

We trust this advice and information will be sufficient to help you proceed with your purchase.
So I think the USB model is the right one to go for, as from what I understand it still keeps the master plug alive while all the remaining 7 plugs are switched off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.