Energy setting "better battery life": only gpu?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lapino, Jun 7, 2009.

1. lapino macrumors regular

When I choose "better battery life", is my MBP then only switching to another gpu but performing at the same level, or does it also downclock other things like the cpu. I ask because I want to do some video editing on my laptop but since there's no support yet for a GPU in FCE/iMovie, I figure it makes no sense to use the higher performing gpu and just let it run in "better battery", thus also making the laptop run less hot.

2. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

It's switching between the 9400M and 9600M GT depending on which option is picked. If the application you're running doesn't take advantage of the GPU, they you're better off using the 9400M or "better battery life" to conserve more battery and keep heat low.

3. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

As far as I know, the CPU clocks remain the same as long as the AC adapter is connected. So, I think you're good.

Btw, inb4 "The 9400 eats some of your memory, the 9600 doesn't"

The 9600 may have it's own vRAM, yes, but that doesn't mean enabling it stops the 9400 from using it's share of the system memory. Go compare in Activity Monitor for yourself: The odd 256MB discrepancy between the "Used" number, and the total of "Wired", "Active", and "Free" remains either way.