Engadget: Bill Gates: The Exit Interview

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by edesignuk, Jan 8, 2008.

1. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Bill Gates: The Exit Interview

I hope people can leave their fanboy hats in the cupboard for the duration of this thread.

Bill Gates and Microsoft have truly changed the world, and he will go on to change the world through his really quite amazing philanthropy work at the Bill & Melinda Gates foundation. ($3bn in grants this year!!). Their foundation really is the greatest hope for the poor nations of the world, as well as the richer for that matter. Our governments and other private companies will never invest the time and money he has made available. Good on Gates, many other billionaires could certainly learn a thing or two.

Microsoft and Apple may be competitors, Steve and Bill may be perceived as mortal enemies, but they are both the giants of their field, and neither one should leave without a certain amount of sadness from both camps.

http://up.*************/files/1/Images/Gifs/ClapLarge.gif​

2. MacHipster macrumors 6502

Agreed. His foundation will go down as one of the greatest philanthropic organizations in history and it's about time someone, anyone started focusing on these things.

3. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

but that's a novel! I might wait for the video. :p

Like him or his products or not, it's undeniable the positive change he's brought to a great deal of the world.

4. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

Interesting read. Someone already summed it up quite nicely before me - the work that he does outside of Microsoft is unquestionably more important than any product either Microsoft or Apple develops.

If only more people were like him, particularly those in power.

5. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I'm sorry, I'm sorry, but I have to do it. It's irresistible. This quote just can't go without being taken out of context.

From the article:
    "I'm never fully satisfied with any Microsoft product." - Bill Gates

I got invited to CES but didn't go...I should have, never been to a Stevenote or Billnote before. At least perhaps I still have the chance to catch a Steve one someday. With my luck I probably would have ran into Bill, too. I seem to have a thing about randomly running into CEOs at press events; happens way too often to me.

6. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Isn't that a good philosophy to have? We can all laugh and joke about it, but let's not pretend Apple are perfect either. To never be happy with what you have produced and always be striving for better is how the top bods of companies should think.

7. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Exactly, this thread really shouldn't turn into another "I hate Microsoft" "OH ME TOO" thread...

8. angelneo macrumors 68000

9. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

I've said it before and I'll say it again--If anyone deserves a Nobel Peace Prize, it's Bill Gates (and Melinda, too, I suppose).

10. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

I agree whole-heartedly. I'm sure that it's only a matter of time...