Engadget.com - occasionally crashes iPhone safari?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TechWhore, Jun 14, 2010.

1. TechWhore macrumors regular

Hey I was wondering if anyone else noticed this.... But it feels like for the last year or so engadget.com randomly crashes my iPhone's safari... I love the site! I was just curious if anyone experiences the same thing?

2. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

Hasn't happened in a year for me. Usually a reboot of the iPhone solves it, as it's likely a memory issue.

3. actorkid macrumors 6502

happens to me all the time.

I'm blaming engadget. Their site tends to be very slow on certain computers, and it certaintly bogs down my iPhone and causes safari to crash about 50% of the time.

Could be faulty coding/design, or just that fact that it's a very loud page...lots of stuff going on.

4. myphone macrumors 6502

myphone

Nope. Not to my phone.

5. Goaliegeek macrumors 6502a

Goaliegeek

Just use the Engadget app. Way better than the mobile site.

6. TechWhore thread starter macrumors regular

I just restarted my iPhone, and loaded 3 sites, this thread, google images, and engadget. I began flipping through different engadget links, and sure enough crash again....

7. alexbates macrumors 65816

alexbates

I think Engadget just has a ton of content to load, making it crash-prone. I have a custom netbook-based tablet, and for some reason, Engadget is the only site that really lags when scrolling up and down.

8. dmx macrumors 6502

I'm assuming your trying to use the full/desktop version..

If so... I definitely feel your pain. I try to use it once in awhile to see if comments are upranked, etc, things the app does not allow you to do. It crashes regularly. I've always just assumed it was because it was such a large page full of images... not that that would make it acceptable.

9. skyehill macrumors 6502

Download a better browser. Atomic for example. And then set it to spoof Firefox. Safari is just a bad browser unfortunately.

10. TechWhore thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah full desktop version on my iPhone. I personally cannot stand mobile sites or app versions of sites, there are always features missing, like comments that I need. Just tried on my girls iPhone too, and it crashed when going through engadget too.

11. Benji222 macrumors 65816

Benji222

12. ksmith80209 macrumors 6502a

Odd. Usually it's Gizmodo that doesn't play well with Apple...

13. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

I'm with you, both on the thing about mobile websites and Engadget crashing.

I chalk it up to not enough RAM (I have the 3GS); unfortunately the new iPhone has the same amount as the 3GS, so it's not going away anytime soon.

14. iphone3DG3 macrumors member

Yep, I am having that EXACT same problem. Phew, thought I was the only one. I hate the mobile version because it seems too watered down. It's sad though that their desktop version crashes Safari.