Engadget.com's take on Windows Mobile 6.5

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by LinMac, Mar 1, 2009.

1. LinMac macrumors 65816

I'm not sure if this is a repost (most likely), but it does bring up an interesting point.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/02/18/editorial-ten-reasons-why-windows-mobile-6-5-misses-the-mark/

Symbian (through Nokia's efforts), Android via Google, OSX Mobile on the iPhones, Palm's WebOS, RIM's Blackberry OS and Windows Mobile 6.5 all represent what is coming up next.

Symbian is going to be very interesting moving forward, but it is already built into a very large number of phones via Nokia's lower end handsets.

The truly interesting phones seem to be coming built with Android, OS X Mobile, WebOS, and RIM's Blackberry OS.

What market segment is Windows Mobile really targeted at?

2. Zyniker macrumors 6502

Windows Mobile might garner more interest if they actually rewrote the code...instead of just slapping a shiny new UI on top of old code. Then again, does anyone really expect Microsoft to rewrite code 'from the ground up'? :rolleyes:

3. GilGrissom macrumors 65816

GilGrissom

I agree.

I'm impressed thus far in what Symbian seems to be doing to catch up, as in my opinion it was starting to lag. It's now up to OSX and Android to keep up the pace of innovation.

I can't understand Microsoft's decision with 6.5, and probably to an extent WinMo7, it's just suicide in this market place right now. Do they not care about it as much or do they really underestimate the threats from competitors?!

4. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

The problem is that WM 6 was still based on CE 5.0.

WM 6.1 changed the memory mapping a bit, and I find it much more stable.

WM 6.5 is just treading water.

WM 7 will be a major rewrite, based finally on CE 6.0 (very powerful), which has a completely redesigned kernel. We've used CE 6 with IE 6 for years at work, in ruggedized handhelds and phones.

5. acurafan macrumors 6502a

not just Windows mobile, but Windows OS needs a major rewrite. That $*** has more band-aids on there then a hospital! :mad: