Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2007
Seeing how they JUST released the iPad and it is AT&T only I just really, really don't see this happening... unless they also (at the same time) anounce an iPad verizon plan.

walangij

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2007
MI
I Hope so. I'd pay retail for it. Carrier matters to me more than a phone. I'd switch from my incredible for it.

thespazz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2007
I'm up for being pessimistic (like the rest of the users here), but I'd like to believe this as true. Apple is a business and likes to make money. iPhone on Verizon is a whole lot of the American population covered.

RonHC

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2010
Just stop making these Verizon iPhone threads, it will only bring more trolls

JoJoCal19

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Ugh... I can't stand it when people delve (is that a word?) into other people "stuff" just to get dirt on them and then repost it. (ie. researching posts, google-ing the person, looking up FB info, etc)... No offense, and I'm also not defending the poster that you are replying to either, I'm just venting.

+1

How am I delving, every thread I read that has the word Verizon in it, he posts the same thing in every thread. It doesnt take much to see the posts nor is it hard to remember when I see them every day :confused:

Nobody knows what is happening for sure except for a select few very privileged people. Heck, even Woz has said that he never knows whats going on with new products. An employee got fired for showing him the iPad like a day early.

I think some (read: very little) of the speculation thats coming out has some merit, but nobody will know for sure until there is either hard proof of its announced officially by Steve Jobs himself.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
I can't see Apple using a first generation LTE chipset in an iPhone. They're undoubtedly battery hungry and untuned. I mean, the original iPhone was launched as EDGE because 3G chipsets were still too new/battery hungry at the time...

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
There are two reasons, if not more, that Applejuiced and the rest of us make pessimistic statements about the iPhone coming to V:

1. We get tired of seeing the same threads almost everyday
  2. We've seen a lot about this subject to be able to make a pretty good prediction of what's going to happen.

This not unlike predicting the Colts are going to beat Cleveland. Most would be right, and Cleveland will lose. However, anything is possible, and Cleveland might win. The same goes for V.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I dont have hopes and dreams. When it happens it happens. Ive got better things to look forward to than holding my breath waiting for Verizon to get the iPhone. So who am I blaming? And yes, anyone that states something as fact, when it is nothing more than speculation is an idiot.

I will not scoop down to your level and try to insult or call you any names cause Im not an immature 28 year old like you.
You can do whatever you want and I will do the same. I Post what I feel like whether you like it or not. Its not fact, its just my opinion and a very realistic one. Thank you.

JoJoCal19

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
We've seen a lot about this subject to be able to make a pretty good prediction of what's going to happen.

Really? This is the exact thing Im talking about. Has anyone on these boards signed an NDA with Verizon or Apple. Is anyone here privy to the information on whats going on behind closed doors? You've not seen any more than the rest of the people on this board.

I for one take anything an "analyst" says with a grain of salt. I do happen to work for one of the largest investment firms in the nation and I know a good bit of what these analysts do. Anyways, yes I agree that alot of rumors are merely that. However when the WSJ makes an actual report on a contract between Apple and Pegatron to produce a CDMA iPhone, that is not a speculation by an analyst. It wasnt a mere speculation or guess when it was reported that Apple and Qualcomm have a contract for chipsets. If Engadget says theyve had engineering/testing parters (that they know are) give them information that is corroborated by another party that has given them information, again, that is not rampant speculation or making up some guess of whats going on.

So there are rumors and speculations, and then there are actual reports on contracts, deals, etc.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
Really? This is the exact thing Im talking about. Has anyone on these boards signed an NDA with Verizon or Apple. Is anyone here privy to the information on whats going on behind closed doors? You've not seen any more than the rest of the people on this board.

I for one take anything an "analyst" says with a grain of salt. I do happen to work for one of the largest investment firms in the nation and I know a good bit of what these analysts do. Anyways, yes I agree that alot of rumors are merely that. However when the WSJ makes an actual report on a contract between Apple and Pegatron to produce a CDMA iPhone, that is not a speculation by an analyst. It wasnt a mere speculation or guess when it was reported that Apple and Qualcomm have a contract for chipsets. If Engadget says theyve had engineering/testing parters (that they know are) give them information that is corroborated by another party that has given them information, again, that is not rampant speculation or making up some guess of whats going on.

So there are rumors and speculations, and then there are actual reports on contracts, deals, etc.

Its all rumors, thats all. Those so called "analysts" dont know any more than you or me. Its speculation without any evidence.
They're not proof of anything.
Same things are posted every year for over 3 years now. And same things were posted before the iPad release and that it was confirmed to run on Verizons CDMA network.
Believe what you want. Its not official untill its announced, and untill then anyone can say or make up whatever they want to get attention.

icyfire

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2010

To be fair, Engadget also reported that the iPad was going to be running on Verizon CDMA but that didn't turn out to be true. So I wouldn't take their word as 100%. I don't think they are being deceitful, but they are simply speculating like everyone else.

However, the WSJ article from a few months back was quite convincing because it was right on the front page and it didn't seem speculative. Also, it's the WSJ so I doubt they are going to post just any old rumor as big news. That being said, I doubt that Apple is going to be releasing a LTE iPhone. Sure it would make big waves, but Apple makes their money by being behind the curve, not ahead of it ;). If they were to go Verizon, it would probably be a plain ol' CDMA variety and an LTE version will come out when Verizon (and AT&T :rolleyes:) roll out their LTE networks.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
For what it's worth, I don't really see this happening either. There's no substance behind anything, it's all speculation.

+1 When I read this I saw nothing of real substance. I want it to happen, but summer is very doubtful.

I'll believe when I hear it from SJ's mouth.

macfan881

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2006
Its all rumors, thats all. Those so called "analysts" dont know any more than you or me. Its speculation without any evidence.
They're not proof of anything.
Same things are posted every year for over 3 years now. And same things were posted before the iPad release and that it was confirmed to run on Verizons CDMA network.
Believe what you want. Its not official untill its announced, and untill then anyone can say or make up whatever they want to get attention.

but yet every time you post like this you seem to make it your so called opinion is here by fact and every one should bow down to your opinion.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
There are two reasons, if not more, that Applejuiced and the rest of us make pessimistic statements about the iPhone coming to V:

1. We get tired of seeing the same threads almost everyday
  2. We've seen a lot about this subject to be able to make a pretty good prediction of what's going to happen.

This not unlike predicting the Colts are going to beat Cleveland. Most would be right, and Cleveland will lose. However, anything is possible, and Cleveland might win. The same goes for V.

I'm tired of it as well, but this was new information/specualtion; not just a random "Do you think the iPhone is coming to Verizon?" thread.

Edit: I read it earlier in the day, but knew better than to post it here because it would just start another flame war because you AT&T die-hards won't just leave it alone. Can't you just sit back, be smug and laugh while we dream of a multi-carrier iPhone in the US?

This is exactly what I've been saying all along as well. You have to admit the WSJ article is intriguing. Not necessarily proof of anything yet, but something to think about.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
Actually, "Yeah right" is not something real. Admit it, it's a a trollish flame-baiting statement. This Verizon/no Verizon iPhone argument is heated enough without pointless statements like that one. If you think about it reasonably you'll admit I'm right. You make good points from time to time, but that wasn't one of them.

I didnt actually think a simple "yeah right" will make a few VZ people that upset :D
I was just saying Yeah right towards the topic of "the new iphone will be a verizon 4G launch phone"
That in my opinion is definetelly not going to happen this summer. Better chances of a Verizon CDMA iphone to be released than a Verizon 4G capable iphone is what I had in mind.
But you're right, that simple statement would leave it open for assumptions :D

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.

I wrote "prediction." Our prediction is based on all the stuff we've seen over the past couple of years (Verizon ads, Verizon's issues with Apple's App Store, etc.).

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
Ok, maybe I'm harshing on the "yeah right" a bit...but it wasn't exactly the greatest post on MR today. :p

Honestly, I haven't seen many Verizon "fanboys" crapping on AT&T lately. Have you? What I have seen is people saying they would jump to Verizon in a heartbeat if the iPhone was available. Or they say they are tired of AT&T and are going anyway and getting an Android phone. But I haven't seen any true AT&T bashing lately. Not to say it wasn't here before.

Maybe that's the issue, there was tons of AT&T bashing in the past and you guys are just in that "mode".

I gotta say, I jumped to AT&T before the release of the 3G and had a Samsung A747 for a while...then got the 3G. The service I experienced after my switch had me SOOO ANGRY for a while that I couldn't talk about my AT&T service without getting pissed. So I could see why people would be bashing. I don't think I've done any here myself...but I can empathize.

Today it's a bit better, but still not as good as I was used to. I had 2 dropped calls today alone. So yeah...I have good reasons for wanting to leave; but this former MS fanboy (and employee) is attached to the iPhone.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
Ok, maybe I'm harshing on the "yeah right" a bit...but it wasn't exactly the greatest post on MR today. :p

Honestly, I haven't seen many Verizon "fanboys" crapping on AT&T lately. Have you? What I have seen is people saying they would jump to Verizon in a heartbeat if the iPhone was available. Or they say they are tired of AT&T and are going anyway and getting an Android phone. But I haven't seen any true AT&T bashing lately. Not to say it wasn't here before.

Maybe that's the issue, there was tons of AT&T bashing in the past and you guys are just in that "mode".

I gotta say, I jumped to AT&T before the release of the 3G and had a Samsung A747 for a while...then got the 3G. The service I experienced after my switch had me SOOO ANGRY for a while that I couldn't talk about my AT&T service without getting pissed. So I could see why people would be bashing. I don't think I've done any here myself...but I can empathize.

Today it's a bit better, but still not as good as I was used to. I had 2 dropped calls today alone. So yeah...I have good reasons for wanting to leave; but this former MS fanboy (and employee) is attached to the iPhone.

Hey, maybe a "yeah right" is not such a big deal but I guess not for some :D
We all see verizon fans thinking their network is superior and bashing AT&T and Apples decision to go with them daily. After a while it gets old. Just cause AT&T sucks at your location for example it doesnt mean its the same thruout the country.

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Here's proof that the iPhone is coming to Verizon...... I took this picture with my 3GS earlier this afternoon.

The crappy cell phone store up the street would have no reason to lie, would they?;)

Attachments

• IMG_1511.jpg
    IMG_1511.jpg
    1,018.6 KB · Views: 71

walangij

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2007
MI
Here's proof that the iPhone is coming to Verizon...... I took this picture with my 3GS earlier this afternoon.

The crappy cell phone store up the street would have no reason to lie, would they?;)

Legit. Hopefully they require some sort of non-refundable fee to sign up, that way it's guaranteed to come out! ;)

Dr Kevorkian94

macrumors 68020
Jun 9, 2009
SI, NY
1) apple does not use old technology hint hint cmda
2) they not going to manufacture 2 different handsets for the same phone
3) the ipad just came out and they could of revived the deal of exclusiveness for iphone
4) if anything it will go to carriers like sprint or tmobile that use sim cards.

now for all the idiots that think its still going to Verizon stop thinking its a waste of time, if the prototype iphone that was found had cmda tech in it then i would say ur spot on but TO BAD!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.