Engadget Verizon iPhone Review is Up!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jbg232, Feb 2, 2011.

1. jbg232 macrumors 65816

jbg232

Check it out here

Summary:
    -Superior call quality
    -Inferior data quality (somewhat)
    -Still the iphone you know and love

EDIT: So is the NY Times' review

2. Darthdingo macrumors 6502a

Won't these reviews out 8 months ago, last June ? Feels like deja vu

3. nanna24 macrumors newbie

4. Darthdingo, Feb 2, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2011

Darthdingo macrumors 6502a

Wow some big negatives on Verizon vs ATT;
    http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/02/verizon-iphone-review/

Firstly, you can't do 3G data and voice at the same time, but with AT&T you can. When using data on 3G, calls take precedent, but if you're in Verizon's 2G territory and using data, your call will go to voicemail. Another thing to consider is how Verizon's network handles multiple calls. You can add up to two people to a call, but after that, everyone gets shot to voicemail, unlike the AT&T phone, where the numbers go way beyond that.

Let's put this as simply as we can: data rates on the Verizon iPhone 4 we tested were dramatically slower than those on its AT&T counterpart. How much slower? Well, even though network speeds fluctuate based on many factors, we didn't see the Verizon device peak much beyond 1.4 Mbps on downloads (and even that high was rare), and it barely hit 0.5 Mbps on upstream. On the other hand, the AT&T device regularly pulled down above 3 Mbps, and 1 Mbps or more going up.

A bigger issue may be that while using the Personal Hotspot feature, your calls will kill your connection. That means that if you're loading a page on your computer tethered to your phone and you get a call, the page stops loading and doesn't resume until the call stops ringing, or you hang up. It's a bit jarring. If you're a busy person who is going to rely on this feature for connectivity and rely on the iPhone for important calls, this could be a serious issue.

5. destroyboredom, Feb 2, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2011

destroyboredom macrumors 6502

6. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

Broken link.

At the end of the day it's the same iPhone 4, just without the antennagate.

7. Apollo 13 macrumors 6502a

Not many ppl care. Most ppl the ppl getting the Iphone are on Verizon's network and are use to this. Hell I'm use to this on Sprints network. You also can use wifi and can talk and use the phone at the same time anyways;which a lot of ppl already on ATT does already.

8. hcho3 macrumors 68030

I disagree with that inferior data quality. (somewhat)
    Verizon iphone is very inferior with data because it doesn't do both voice and data at the same time and it's noticeably slower than AT&T 3G data.

Superior call quality is also matter of where you live. In my area, Verizon and AT&T are almost equal. So, I have an AT&T.

I can never understand people who complain about AT&t's voice quality so much, but stay with them and renew contracts. Leave and find a better carrier?

9. destroyboredom macrumors 6502

10. hcho3 macrumors 68030

No many people care? Uhh... really? I actually care if I am watching a game on my laptop using mobile hotspot. If that gets interrupted, I would care. Yea.

U may say you don't care. But, don't say many people don't care because you are not as same as me. I care and everyone in my office will go nuts if their blackberry or iphone will lose data connection while we are in call.

11. Apple 26.2 Contributor

Apple 26.2

12. Apollo 13 macrumors 6502a

I didn't say all ppl didn't care I said not many ppl care which is true. You are a minority.

13. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Minority? Please show me a link that says people don't use both voice and data at the same time. Thanks. Need more than just words.

14. MacJohnson macrumors regular

MacJohnson

CDMA Board of Directors did state that they are working on their network to do both Data and Voice at the same time. Said they would be able to have that capability sometime this year.

15. Darthdingo macrumors 6502a

Yeah a lot of people do care, and not just tech geeks like us. I spoke to a constrcution dude I know, not a geeky type of guy at all. And he has the iPhone3GS, and I asked if he would move to Verizon instead for better service, he said hell no, you can't do talk and data at the same time. And this is the type of guy I would never evn expect to know that, let alone care about it.

So yeah, the normal Joe Blow does care.

16. Darthdingo macrumors 6502a

Yes it is available on the best phone coming out in February, the new HTC-Thunderbolt. Allows for 3G talk and data at the same time. If your on Verizon that is the phone you should be upgrading to, not the 8 month old iPhone4

17. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Actually, if you're using the WiFi hotspot feature, you're going to care.

You MIGHT get away with saying that people don't use data on their smartphone while on a voice call (though I do this all the time, so I don't buy that argument). But if you're also allowing 4 other devices to share your internet connection, you better believe at least ONE of those users will notice that the connection is gone because you got a phone call.

The WiFi sharing is something that every major tech site, including this one, is hyping as a big deal. You can't say this is a feature everyone wants, and then turn right around and say that no one's going to care that it doesn't work during voice calls.

18. Wateroksnmud macrumors regular

Negative Verizon? If you read the whole thing including the end, you'd see this...

"While it isn't all rainbows and flowers (the data speed issues or the voice / data considerations could be a dealbreaker for some), it does kind of feel like Apple and Verizon did the impossible: they made the best smartphone in America just a little bit better."

Looks like they favor the Verizon iPhone a bit more than AT&T to me.