Engagement Ring Buying Advice

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by patrickdunn, Feb 10, 2011.

1. patrickdunn macrumors 6502a

patrickdunn

I was thinking about using the ShaneCo, as they have lifetime service on their rings for free. However their diamond prices seem to be inflated, which negates the free service.

Has anybody bought a diamond online to save in Sales Tax? I would only buy from a reputable place (BlueNile, etc..) with a 30-day return policy, then take the stone to a place like ShaneCo to add it to a band.

The engagement is still 6-8 months off, so I have plenty of time, but I am just now beginning the search.

I always see people on here getting engaged, so I was wondering if people had any tips or advice about ring buying. Anything helpful is much appreciated!

Thanks!

2. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

You should let her pick one, or at least casually go into a Jewellery store and see what she likes.

3. patrickdunn thread starter macrumors 6502a

patrickdunn

I already know she wants a 1ct Cushion Cut on a Diamond band, that part is done, just trying to figure out where to get it from.

4. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Color? Clarity? Cut?

Metal?

I went fully custom. I spec'd a great diamond, bought it, then had a custom band made in Japan. I avoided places like BlueNile and crap dept jewelry stores. Shaneco seems to be about the same. I personally would rather work with a small jeweler as the end result is much more personal.

5. glossywhite macrumors 65816

glossywhite

It's more about love than material items, so just don't get too carried away.

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Just make sure that if you get a stone you get all of the appropriate certificates from AGS (or the other one, which slips my mind at the moment). If it doesn't come with a certificate, it's questionable.

7. pvmacguy macrumors 65816

pvmacguy

I got my finacé's engagement ring from brilliant earth and we couldn't be any happier with it. Their diamonds are top notch and the metals are also great.

8. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

That's what they'd like you to think ;O

9. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

I make it a point to not get engaged to any girl who knows exactly what kind of ring she wants or expects me to spend a certain amount on one (this has happened to me once...things didn't work out). If she loves you she'll love whatever you give her. I'd actually look into synthetic diamonds or alternatives as an option. Personally, I have a moral problem buying diamonds period...their prices are incredibly inflated as their distribution is controlled by one company primarily, not to mention you never know where they came from or who was killed to get them.

10. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

I got a certified diamond, it means it has a certificate showing its characteristics. It helps with insurance, value etc.

It is about more than just carat size, colour, clarity etc are also important. Read and educate yourself about diamonds.

11. cloroxbleach4 macrumors 6502a

cloroxbleach4

I can't speak from personal experience. But my brother bought a ring from Oklahoma at a reliable dealer then had it shipped back to Texas. He got the deal and he saved money on tax. Which is a huge chunk. Just something to think about.