Engagement Ring--Done! ...Wedding Bands??

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by puma1552, Dec 2, 2010.

1. puma1552, Dec 2, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2010

puma1552 macrumors 601

So those of you who followed my other thread know I ordered the following engagement ring (platinum):

http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/round-solitaire-diamond-rings.html

While I'm still a week or so out from receiving it, I'm looking now at wedding bands since those are next up. I couldn't care less what mine is, it could be a $90 titanium one and I'd be plenty happy.

But I know hers has to do a decent job of matching the engagement ring since they are worn together. The recommended match from the jeweler for the engagement ring above is the following:

http://www.jamesallen.com/wedding-and-anniversary/Ladies-Diamond-Rings/ring/item_493-3672.asp

I was a bit surprised; what I know of bands (or at least her band) is that it should match the metal type, so platinum, and that it should be as close in width as possible to the engagement ring; you don't want to go drastically bigger because the rings will look unbalanced, and probably take away from the center stone in the engagement ring.

Beyond those two things, I have no idea if there are any general rules of thumb or not. I realize it's up to us so anything is fine, but are there general rules of thumb for how to match the wedding/engagement ring?

The reason I was surprised is because her engagement ring is a solitaire, and the recommended match is a pave with extra diamonds; it seems to me that would take away from the engagement ring, so I was thinking maybe as a rule of thumb solitaires are to be matched with plain bands, paves with pave bands, etc., but I can't substantiate this anywhere on google.

On the vein of the above recommendation, I'm also wondering why the following isn't a recommended match; it's the exact same ring, but it has a few more diamonds and is closer in size to her engagement ring (2.3mm vs 2.7mm):

http://www.jamesallen.com/wedding-and-anniversary/Ladies-Diamond-Rings/ring/item_493-3675.asp

I can understand why they probably chose the above kind of style as a match; the edges/profile of the ring are very similar/sharp/defined like the engagement ring...but I'm curious about recommending a pave wedding band for a solitaire ring.

Any rules of thumb? Also are wedding bands generally surprises for each other or do couples usually shop for these and buy them together? Also is there something to be said about buying the engagement and wedding bands from the same jeweler? I get 10% off my bands at James Allen since I bought the engagement ring there. Not sure if people mix jewelers or not.

2. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

I personally like the 2nd one. Very pretty on both accounts (engagement ring included). Congratulations on taking this next step.

This may be a dumb question, but isn't it odd to spend more on the wedding band than the engagement ring? I always thought it was the other way around. I understand your future fianceé is foreign, so there may be something that I am missing here.

3. puma1552 thread starter macrumors 601

Thanks, I like the second one too; I like both, but I think size-wise the second one is a better match?

The engagement ring price you see only reflects the setting, and not the diamond in the center I chose; so on that vein the wedding ring is still the cheaper of the two (thankfully).:)

4. MultiM macrumors 6502

MultiM

Just a suggestion, but after you give her the engagement ring, take her to shop for wedding bands. She can then have a say in the look she wants.

5. Apollo 13 macrumors 6502a

So did your girlfriend say yes? I'm also looking for an engagement ring myself but i'll probably get it from Whiteflash.com instead of James Allen. I plan to propose on Valentines day.

6. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

I personally like Swing but Journey tribute bands are an old favorite... ;)

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

A simple search through the OP's post and you'll find the answer, repeatedly.

8. mr.steevo macrumors 65816

mr.steevo

I chose the engagement ring but let my wife chose the wedding band. She chose a band without diamonds as she wanted a ring she could wear all the time and not have to worry about losing a stone. When she wants the bling she puts on the diamond.

9. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Perhaps, but I've also seen wedding bands (intended to be worn alongside, or soldered to, the engagement ring) smaller than the engagement ring, and they look great. Don't shoehorn yourself into someone else's idea of what's right.

I think the best idea is to get your future wife's input, or take her with you, and visit a jeweler to have one made. I was quoted once to have a two-toned white/yellow gold band made, custom, for $150.

I wanted to surprise my wife with her engagement ring, but most women I've spoken with would rather pick it out. We compromised - she told me what sorts of design features she liked, types of metal, cuts of stones, etc. and I picked out for her. She was a very good sport and took me shopping for my wedding ring. :)