Engagement Ring/s C&C

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by AxelMonkey, Nov 19, 2010.

1. AxelMonkey, Nov 19, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2010

AxelMonkey macrumors regular

Somewhere between Heaven and Hell, Oregon
    I havent posted on here in a LOOOONG time, tell me what you think.

C&C is very much appreciated thanks :)
    [​IMG]

ISO 400
    43mm
    0ev
    f/5
    1/60

[​IMG]

ISO 400
    55mm
    0ev
    f/7.1
    1/4

[​IMG]
    ISO400
    25mm
    f/7.1
    1/4

2. flosseR macrumors 6502a

flosseR

hi..great idea... badly executed... IMHO. The flash that you shot with ruins the shots in all of them.
    Shoot the same subject with a tripod, without flash. The harsh shadows and brightness kill the mood. Also consider other decorations...consider propping the ring out of the box with some flowers or, even if it is cliché, with some rose pedals. Make it stand out.. right now it looks lie a beginner shooting an advert for ebay.
    Remember, for product photography you want no shadow, you want diffused light and even lighting.

again, just my 2c... not worth much...

3. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

Yeah, the hard lighting is at odds with the subject... Tripod mounted is the way to go, as flosseR pointed out.

Also, a big pet peeve of mine is when things don't line up: For example, the box is skewed slightly in regard to the sides of the image. Take time to center your subject (or not center it, this point isn't about composition really), or at least register the subject with something else in the photo, be it an edge or other line.

The last image with the stones is distracting. I understand the black and white value scheme, but the shapes end up looking too busy. Additionally, unless you are trying to pitch "myjewerlybox.com," its inclusion as text detracts from the main subject [the ring].

4. AxelMonkey thread starter macrumors regular

5. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

Just keep shooting, and try out a variety of different methods. Also, be careful when selecting your focus: insure that your subject is mostly all in focus. Depth of field can also influence what appears to be sharp (DOF is controllable by adjusting the aperture on your lens), so it's worth playing around with different f-stops.

6. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Get rid of the boxes as they clash with the stone.

7. compuwar macrumors 601

compuwar

You don't need to get rid of the flash as much as you need to learn to control the power- if you control the light, you can control the images. Also, shoot tighter, you want your subjects to fill the frame more. Then increase the subject->background distance to provide more isolation.

Paul

8. jbg232 macrumors 65816

jbg232

Two comments:

1) You would likely benefit from a macro lens, doesn't have to be expensive, just macro

2) You would also benefit from better lighting - either a diffused external flash, umbrella, or softbox, just NOT DIRECT FLASH!!!!!

9. AxelMonkey thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah I know, but I dont have money for all that fancy stuff, I just own whats in my sig. till winter term starts and I start my Photography classes, then Ill buy more. ^_^

10. flosseR macrumors 6502a

flosseR

Axel..you have no tripod.right? Do this (thats how i started), light the room nicely so all the lights are on, put your subject on the table, put a book (or 2) on the table and put your rebel on that. Focus, adjust and re-adjust based on this setup until you have the framing you want. Do not care about the exposure time at all. Use the timer release on your rebel and push the button. it will take 2-10 seconds, depending on your setup, and the camera will take the shot.

In photography you don't necessarily NEED all that stuff. There are no rules how to get the shot, just getting it is important. I would shoot with propping the camera onto something so it won't move and then on your PC adjust the white balance to what you are happy with. The problem with the popup flash is that it is way too harsh. If you WANT to use the flash, you can do the following:
    cut some baking paper (the semi transparent ones) into stripes and adjust one stripe in front of the flash. Then tone the flash exposure down by one stop. Then shoot. It will diffuse the light much more than you have now and also will slightly underexpose the photo in order not to create too harsh shadows. Then just recover it slightly on your PC.

hope this gives you SOME ideas to play with... its all about trying things. I would almost say that is 90% of learning photography.. just try... whats the worst that can happen?
    //f

11. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

Perhaps use the telephoto and zoom in, like I did with this image:

[​IMG]

This was shot with a 300mm lens at 300mm, and a wide aperture.

12. jeevesofRKdia macrumors member

Get a reverse ring for the poor man's version of a macro lens. You get to put your lens on backwards so you can take macro shots with the lens you already have.

13. compuwar macrumors 601

compuwar

You can diffuse flash with fabric or paper. Not a lot of investment necessary. But it costs you nothing to learn how to dial in some negative flash compensation. Start at about -1 1/3rds to -1 2/3rds.

Paul

14. AxelMonkey thread starter macrumors regular

for the MACRO part, i do own some little like MACRO len's
    [Digital Concept, Close-up Lens Set +1, +2, +4 & 10x MACRO]

will that work?