Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleFan08

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2007
nice explanation, but all I know is apple better do something about this...even if it means giving replacement units to those of us that got bum iPods. I've got an appt. With the genius bar tomorrow, maybe they'll find me a new one.

DsurioN

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2007
Nice! People are always trying to save a few bucks, and the quality goes in the bin. tsk tsk... Apple, it doesn't matter how long it takes for you to ship a product as long as it works properly (like leopard :D)

thedarkhorse

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2007
Canada
Maybe it's not such a bad thing that I and other Canadians missed the first wave of touches and have to wait, better chance of getting a good quality screen.

caMi

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2007
Ya I am pretty near positive that this is the problem.

If I tilt the left corner of the screen down and away from me, the blacks look perfect.

I will probably return it to Apple and ask them if I can buy one in a month or so.

onionperson654

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2007
Sound like a plausible explaination, but even if it is some other hardware issue, it will probably be taken care of soon (or Archos will have a ton of new customers).

I'm not really wanting to wait another month, and for those that want the device soon, I'd suggest buying it somewhere with a liberal/no-questions asked return policy and if it is bad (or even marginal, or if they make a substantial change) bringing it back in a few weeks. Its Apple's fault (and the retailers backing up the product) and your not ripping them off (more like the other way around). Just be careful not to ding it up too much or to put on a LCD/Sticky case that could be hard to remove.

Personally, I'm buying it from Costco (which is really hard, because I touched my first one today at Best Buy, and it was sweet! and incredibly thin(had a relatively high density/weight which was to be expected/not to complain for/gave it a nice, solid, expensive feel)) so I can wait for 90 days to make sure all hardware issues are taken care of and that software (email, maps, calendar event adding, etc.) is ported over.

sblasl

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2004
Heber Springs, AR
Engineer Elaborates A Little More

The Engineer that posted his observation went onto explain a little more in that Apple is using a different process on the iPod touch than what they use on the iPhone.

"I've also recently been made aware that unlike the Iphone, the ipod touch's LCD is not fused to the glass - which would certainly exacerbate the problem of internal reflection. Even the tiniest space between two layers (even if they seem to be laying perfectly flat together) can cause these types of problems."

s57

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2007
Alternative explanation

Hey, these things are made in China - the manufacturer probably just accidentally put lead into the display...:D

caMi

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2007
The Engineer that posted his observation went onto explain a little more in that Apple is using a different process on the iPod touch than what they use on the iPhone.

"I've also recently been made aware that unlike the Iphone, the ipod touch's LCD is not fused to the glass - which would certainly exacerbate the problem of internal reflection. Even the tiniest space between two layers (even if they seem to be laying perfectly flat together) can cause these types of problems."

That does not make much sense though...

The iMac has glass and the LCD is like a few mm off of it.. Looks great though!

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
That does not make much sense though...

The iMac has glass and the LCD is like a few mm off of it.. Looks great though!

I think u misunderstand. He is saying that the screen being separate makes the problem more obvious or worse.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.