Engineering hold???

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by stagemanagerav, Mar 14, 2008.

1. stagemanagerav macrumors member

So I sent in my new penryn MBP 15" 2.5 into Applecare because the screen suffered from that lower yellowing issue. They got it on Thursday and then the next day they called me and told me that an "engineering hold" had been placed on it. The guy said that this meant that Apple engineers wanted to take more time to diagnose the issue and wanted to keep my laptop for awhile. He said I had two options: 1) He could cancel the hold, they would replace the screen and I would get my laptop back or 2) I could give my computer to the engineers and Apple would send me a new one. I BTO'ed my previous one to include the 7200 RPM drive and then purchased 4GB of RAM off of NewEgg, but when I told him this he said that that was no problem and that they would spec. out the new laptop with those same specs. I didn't really have much data on the hard drive yet since I just got the computer, so I figured, sure take it, fix this screen yellowing issue so none of us ever have to deal with it again. Here's to hoping my new MBP doesn't suffer from the screen issue :)

Has this happened to anyone else, or does anyone know if this is really all there is to it?

2. sjb macrumors regular

I haven't heard of this happening, but we all thank you for taking one for the the team and sacrificing your MBP for the greater good of the group :)

3. andrewdale macrumors 6502a

Maybe they're silently trying to fix the problem without actually admitting it.

4. iCeFuSiOn macrumors 6502a

Glad to hear that Apple is working diligently on resolving the "yellowing" issue, and it's good to hear that they were willing to match your notebooks previous specifications and ship you a new machine so that their engineers could keep their hands on yours for a while longer, not a lot of companies do that.

5. PDE macrumors 68020

I think it's pretty standard for apple to want to keep defective computer for engineering review right after the launch of a new or updated model. I just hope that this is a sign that they're going to address the yellowing issue - seems weird that they would suddenly do this given that the issue has been widespread since the LED LCD MBP introduction. Hoping....

OVer the years, I've had several apple laptops 'captured for engineering review' and have been told that they do this at the beginning of a product cycle.

6. dallas112678 macrumors 6502a

I got that same "engineering hold" on my message machine, its to late for me to call again tonight but ill see what this is all about tommrrow. I also have a very slight "white-yellow" tint on the left side of the bottom 3rd of my screen. The tint also even slighter goes up the whole left side about an 1" from the left.

7. zepharus macrumors 6502a

zepharus

that just sounds sketchy no?

We either cancel the hold -----Pointless if you truly wanted to look into the issue

Or we send you a new unit

Just doesnt make much sense to me

8. mstens macrumors member

It's not abnormal in the hardware field, that is asking to have the failing hardware back for problem determination and failure analysis. Were it mine, I'd ask them to replace my unit, and they could perform PD and FA to their hearts content.

9. dallas112678 macrumors 6502a

Ya im more than likely going to let them keep it to, but ima be incredibly annoyed if my replacement has dead pixels or the yellowing, i wonder if they can actually check to see if my replacement has these problems before sending it to me because this is my 3rd replacement but 1st time through apple care. I dont want to keep doing this over and over.

10. stagemanagerav thread starter macrumors member

Update time.

So I got my brand new MBP on Tuesday and as far as the screen is concerned, there is no more yellowing, so that's a plus. However there is a section about 1 cm long on the lower right corner of the screen bezel that is full of tiny scratches...almost like a piece of steel wool was brushed up against it once. It's not extremely noticeable, but enough so that I'm kinda frustrated to see it on a brand new $3000 machine.

11. mcbeej macrumors member

Perhaps they tried to use the steel wool to scrape off the yellow out of the screen..? :p ;)

12. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

I would definately complian about the bezel since that is how it arrived to you. With any luck, they will send you to a local Apple Store and they can replace the Bezel in a few minutes.

TEG

13. noyes146 macrumors newbie

noyes146

what is that exactly?

14. applepeel macrumors newbie

Do you by any chance know which LCD display model you had? Also, which LCD display model your replacement machine has? (You can find out by reading line 13 in "Open Profile" under the Color tab of the Displays pane in System Preferences.) Thanks!

15. stagemanagerav thread starter macrumors member

I don't know what the old model was, but the new one is 9c83.

It was weird, a couple days ago I turned on my computer and the display had these weird vertical ribbons coming up from the bottom...it was really weird, but I simply restarted and it went away. Who knows what that was.

16. PDE macrumors 68020

It seems quite a few people have had those vertical lines at the bottom of their displays. As the problem is not confined to any particular model of LCD, there seems to be some hope that it's something that will be fixed with firmware/software.