Engineers and Drafters...Share your setup (computer, display, keyboard, mouse)

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Big D 51, Mar 12, 2012.

1. Big D 51 macrumors 6502a

Big D 51

Hi all,

Thank you for viewing my thread. I am a civil engineer/ project manager. While working, I also enjoy drafting house plans for side money as I personally own a home building company as well.

I plan to use my 2010 MBA as my main computer (13" MBA: 2.13 GHz, 4 GB Ram, 256 GB Flash Storage). I may purchase the upcoming MBA whenever that is. I want to set up my MBA pretty much as my main computer at home to display monitors. Then, use new iPAD as a laptop during the day. I like this setup because, if needed, I can easily grab my MBA and take it on business and school trips where a main computer would be needed. So far, the MBA has handle drafting perfectly fine. The book arch is my top candidate for a docking station right now. I am currently in the process of searching a better option.

I plan on purchasing the 27" apple display monitor with the apple wireless keyboard and track pad. When drafting, I will use a logitech mouse. I am on the fence about having two 27" monitors or not. I will purchase one to see how that goes, then I will make my decision if I need two or not. I will use boot camp for heavy drafting. If only a few mark ups, I plan on using parallels.

Engineers and drafters, will you post or explain your home setup? Do you recommend the apple display as a top monitor for home use? Any comments and/ or suggestions are welcomed.

Thank you. :apple:

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You're paying double what you would for a monitor that complements your Macbook Air in appearance only. Monitors from Dell or Asus are just as functional for less than half the price.

3. djrod macrumors 65816

djrod

Let's see this chea Dell and Asus you are talking about ;)

Are they 27 IPS at 2560x1440?

4. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

Dell U2711 is a comparable monitor (27in 2560x1440), with less functionality for the same price.

5. Macman756 macrumors 6502a

Macman756

And it looks hideous.

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Not in person. I loved my Dell displays.

7. flynz4 macrumors 68040

I am pretty sure that MBA only supports a single TB monitor. The MBP may support two.

I use a MBA with a Dell U2711 at work, and I use the same MBA with an ATD at home. The ATD was $100 cheaper... and it is much more fully featured.

The benefit of the Dell U2711 is that it has multiple inputs. I needed this function for use at work as I also have a Lenovo X201 that I use while in the office.

/Jim

8. Big D 51 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Big D 51

Thanks for the information guys. I'm
    going through the picture gallery looking for ideas as well.

I see there are a few opinions regarding which monitor is best. I respects that, and will use the input to compare before making my final decision. I'm glad Jim added that the MBA would only support one monitor. I was not aware of that.

With the apple keyboard, are you able to use the function keys in AutoCAD for shortcuts because I have this problem with my laptop?