England vs. Brazil (1-1)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MalcolmJID, Jun 1, 2007.

1. MalcolmJID macrumors 6502a

Once again, utter shambles. Admittedly a good goal from Terry produced by a Beckham cross, but tonights match made me feel embarrased by the England international side.

They are frankly boring, there is no passion at all. The amount of times the ball was passed back to Englands own half was disgusting, and most times it ended in Brazil regaining possesion of the ball.

90'+2 and we're still in front, 1-0. Everyone lazing about and then Brazil equalise with 15 seconds to go.

What a load of shit!

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Agreed, i never understand why england always pick players who haven't played much for their clubs or always play players out of position, like Carragher at right back.

Also, what the heck does Leighton Baines have to do to get a call up. Two left backs out injured and they go with Shorey (who actually had a good game)

3. MalcolmJID thread starter macrumors 6502a

Steve McClaren isn't doing any justice for England. Uh. I'll hope for something better on Wednesday, but it won't happen. As usual.

4. gavd macrumors 6502a

I just wish we played at a higher tempo more of the time. The only spell in the game where we upped the tempo we actually looked pretty good.

In terms of possession, I don't necessarily have a problem with us passing it back if we need to keep the ball, but we need to work it around better and not resort to lumping it up front all the time.

I don't understand why Lampard managed to last 88 minutes! We know what he can do (not much when playing alongside Gerrard) and I'd much rather he was taken off earlier. I just don't believe they can play together, although I hope to be proven wrong one day.

5. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Actually, I hope England lose Wednesday, then maybe they'll fire everyone and start over.

6. gavd macrumors 6502a

The trouble is I don't think they'd appoint anyone we'd want to be in charge of the team even if they did get rid of Mclaren. It seems to me they don't want anyone who has their own opinions and wouldn't take any **** from the players. They'd much rather have a puppet like Mclaren.

7. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Your harsh words have upset David Beckham... :(

beckcryPA020607_228x220.jpg

My viewing of the match was frequently disrupted tending to a crying child, so I feel a bit wrong commenting on the overall performance having not sat through the whole 90 minutes. What I did see wasn't pretty, mind – and the Brazil goal showed a complete lack of concentration on England's part.

Still, no matter what happened tonight the important thing is how the team perform against Estonia in the upcoming Euro qualifier. That result will be of far greater performance than tonight's meaningless friendly.

One thing I did notice was McClaren shaking hands with his players as the final whistle blew. He did so with Beckham, but neither of them even attempted to make eye contact...

8. MalcolmJID thread starter macrumors 6502a

This is what I meant by boring. Half the time it appeared that the team was stood around. Just after the goal, and just before with the chances was a really good piece of football. The team needs to have this kind of pace the whole game.

The team really don't work well together, and that's why everything is going to pot. Half the reason everyone was so disappointed tonight, and esp. in the World Cup '06 is that on paper, the team is great, amazing players etc, but coaches can't seem to get the players to work together.

I'll expect a defeat on Wednesday. In fact, I'll probably just revise for a test instead.

9. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Yeah, they need someone who

1) Is not afraid to not pick the big names if they are not in form
    2) Will pick players from smaller clubs if they are playing well
    3) Stop trying to put square pegs into round holes just so he can play all the 'big name' players.

Unfortunately, I think the FA worries too much about marketing the England team with big names than their actual performance.

10. gavd macrumors 6502a

I don't think it will be an enjoyable game you might be better off revising for that test! That being said, I don't think we'll lose. Not particularly because of how good we are, more because Estonia aren't anything special.

I just hope McClaren makes some changes to the side for Wednesday.

Going further back, I wish McClaren had dropped more of the big name players than Beckham at the beginning of his reign. It seems to have got Backham fired up and you could see his desire. I don't see that in some of the other players.

11. MalcolmJID thread starter macrumors 6502a

The fact is, Steve McClaren did this (at least #1) nearly straight away. Obviously, this turned out to be a mistake. He wanted to give the impression he would sort England out, but, IMHO, he's yet to deliver the goods. Sure, there were some really good points from tonights game, and England have got a little better, but for me, it's not enough yet. Things need to be changed dramatically, and soon.

12. gavd macrumors 6502a

The only big name he dropped when not in form is Beckham. He continues to play others game after game when they don't warrant places based on form.

I also wouldn't say it was a mistake because at the time he dropped Beckham his form didn't warrant a place. Just because he's been recalled doesn't make that decision wrong. I still think it was the right thing to do, and as I said in one of my other posts, I wish he'd done it to a few more players.

I certainly agree that things need to change though. Fingers crossed they do soon...

13. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Like gavd, I think England have enough to get three points against Estonia – however, I certainly don't expect to be particularly entertained watching it. I can imagine a rather scrappy, dour affair to be honest.

14. gavd macrumors 6502a

Something tells me that unfortunately, your imagination is probably going to be proved right! :)

15. R.Youden macrumors 68020

R.Youden

I just got back from my first England game and I think I tend to agree with what a lot of people are saying on here regarding McLarens tactics. He obviously doesn't have control of the dressing room and he really doesn't have the tactical ability to succeed. Why is it that as one of the supposed super powers of world football we have a second rate manager. What has he done before getting the job?

Assistant to Alex Ferguson at Man Utd.
    Took Middlesborogh into midtable never to be seen again.
    Assistant to Sven who never listened to a word he said!

The guy just doesn't cut it at this, or even Premiership, level. Go now before it is too late and England are ruined by yet another manager who really doesn't know what is going on.

Anyway I will try and get some picture of last night up. That ground is amazing! Shame we don't have a good team to play in it!

16. gavd macrumors 6502a

He hasn't achieved anything really, but unfortunately he took 'Boro on the UEFA cup run and got to the final at the right time.

I think he was only appointed as a safe option. I do wonder sometimes if swiftaw is right and the FA only think about the marketing aspect of getting the big players in the team. If that's the case though, it's totally wrong as having a successful team would bring in more money!

On another note, it would be good to see a few pictures. It's good to hear that you say the ground is amazing. I don't know anyone else who's actually been so hadn't really heard anything from someone who had.

17. R.Youden macrumors 68020

R.Youden

Well here is the link to my pictures:

Link

It was an amazing stadium and a great atmosphere. Brazil are just a better quality of team and England showed them far too much respect. Ah well, bring on the 2010 World Cup.

18. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

The Brazilian goal was amazing! It just shows how amazing team they manage to have at all times — the goal was at least as nice as the other one. Reminds me of Team Canada (ice hockey).

It ain't over until it's over. Lesson to learn for many of us europeans…

19. gavd macrumors 6502a

Thanks for putting the picture up. The stadium does look pretty impressive, especially the one you took after the game.

20. R.Youden macrumors 68020

R.Youden

Apparently that was the first time they lit it up like that as it was the first evening game. I wonder what it will be like when they close the roof? That will be some atmosphere.

21. kristiano macrumors regular

I'm just really glad that Becks is back, both for England and in form.