Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
1) It's Mac not MAC: they mean different things

2) Is there something wrong with the built-in one? Dictionary.app in /Applications...

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I think the built-in one is great als.

But what is meant by an English-English dictionary, as opposed to an English dictionary? I know what a French-English or Japanese-English dictionary is, but I'm not 100% sure what an Eng-Eng dictionary is.

Do you mean that you want a dictionary specifically intended for use by someone who is not a native speaker of English (I think there are some dictionaries specifically built for people trying to bulk up their English vocabulary?)....

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
He wants an English dictionary as opposed to an American English dictionary which is unfortunately what is built into Mac OS X.

Or at least that is how I read it...

Is that term used in the UK, as opposed to "UK English" or "British English" or something of the like? In my defense I googled it and found the term used very infrequently, and only in the context of English as a Second Language.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Is that term used in the UK, as opposed to "UK English" or "British English" or something of the like? In my defense I googled it and found the term used very infrequently, and only in the context of English as a Second Language.

We just tend to call it English. Yours would be American or American English.

portent

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2004
We just tend to call it English. Yours would be American or American English.
Nationalistic posturing aside, English is a language; the American, Austrailian, British, Indian, etc. variants are properly called dialects.

If you can't grasp that, then you really don't understand English, or probably any other language.

localoid

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2007
America's Third World

Going to system preferences/international/languages (not "input menu") and putting British English at the top of the list should normally do the trick, but have you also tried going to Edit > Spelling > Spelling > Dictionary and set that to British English?

Use the Edit button in the languages pane if British English is not yet on the list.

Alipix

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
Dubai
1) It's Mac not MAC: they mean different things

2) Is there something wrong with the built-in one? Dictionary.app in /Applications...

you are right, but I don't like the interface design of buit-in Application.
do you know another option?

I think the built-in one is great als.

But what is meant by an English-English dictionary, as opposed to an English dictionary? I know what a French-English or Japanese-English dictionary is, but I'm not 100% sure what an Eng-Eng dictionary is.

Do you mean that you want a dictionary specifically intended for use by someone who is not a native speaker of English (I think there are some dictionaries specifically built for people trying to bulk up their English vocabulary?)....

I mean something like this; don't get you in trouble ;)
Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.