Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hoschi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2005
A friend of mine was wondering if there is an online dictionary that can give the meanings of the words as the cursor moves over them. She needs them in chinese so what I am really looking for is an application where the english word is translated into chinese as the cursor moves over it.

Thanks a ton
-Hoschi

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
puckhead193 said:
oo sounds interesting, I want to learn some basic chinesse before I leave on the 15th :D :cool:

You still haven't started? :eek:

I've never seen such a dictionary but it would certainly be useful.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
bousozoku said:
You still haven't started? :eek:

I've never seen such a dictionary but it would certainly be useful.

no because that's what the 14 hours or so on the plane are for... Coming home, i plan to edit all my photos... or just pass out :D

xigua

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2006
Lyons, France
LiveDictionary and dict.cn

As far as I know, there is not an online dictionary that can give the meanings of the words as the cursor moves over them. But the "LiveDictionary" can do it.

LiveDictionary is a small software which works with Safari (the web browser). And you can download many dictionaries for this software. One of those dictionaries is "CEDIT english -> chinese dictionary".

There are two website that provide some free dictionary services: "iciba.com" and "dict.cn".
I recommend the dict.cn, they provide a search-word link that you can drag it into your browser's bookmark bar. After that, You can hightlight a word in a webpage, and use the keyboard shortcut to search this word. (If you dragged the link on the first position of bookmark bar, then your keyboard shortcut would be apple-1.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.