English UK language with US formatted numbers

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by l0uismustdie, Nov 1, 2014.

1. l0uismustdie macrumors regular

l0uismustdie

Hello, I am trying to set my language (for auto-correct, etc) to British English and have my number formatting as US format. This is so I can have the correct formatting for SMS messaging in Messages but use the British UK dictionary. Is this possible? Any ideas?

2. mojolicious macrumors 68000

mojolicious

3. n-evo macrumors 65816

n-evo

Go to System Preferences > Keyboard > Text and select British English. At the bottom of the list you can also drag around languages to change priority by hitting "Set Up...".

Then go to System Preferences > Language and Region and select United States as region.

4. KALLT macrumors 601

I’m not sure what you mean with ‘US number’ either. OS X handles phone number matching automatically, based on country-specific conventions. That is not related to your system language or locale, I think.

5. l0uismustdie thread starter macrumors regular

l0uismustdie

SOLVED:

Thanks for all the responses.

mojolicious: what i mean by 'US formatted numbers' is numbers formatted non-internationally. For example, US format: +1 (XXX) XXX-XXXX and UK format: +44 XX XXXX XXXX

n-evo: perfect. thanks so much :)

KALLT: this is actually related to the system language. If you have your 'Language & Region' set to a different location than where your phone is the pattern matching Messages uses won't be able to recognise the numbers correctly.