English Voice reading Native text/time Issue in Lion ?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by discosoap, Jul 22, 2011.

1. discosoap macrumors regular

Hi all,

just installed Lion, works great. One issue I'm having though; I setup my Mac to tell me the time twice an hour. On 10.6.8 there was an English voice, stating the time in English (which was great). In 10.7, somehow there is an English voice (which I want) telling me the time in my native language (Dutch), which sound like an englishman talking Dutch (which sound horrible ;))

Does anyone know how to make my Mac speak English time in English language again ?? (hope this question makes sense.. :eek:

thanks in advance

2. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

What is your voice set as?
    System Preferences -> Date & Time , Clock, Announce the time, Customize voice.

3. discosoap thread starter macrumors regular

It's now set to Alex, the English voice I like most... He is talking in English, but is obviously reading the time in Dutch language instead of English, making it almost impossible to hear/understand.. I would like it all in English (text and speech)

4. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

I asked because of your post. If the time was not speaking in English, that would be the place to check it or change it.
    Hmm, I'm not sure. Play around with the rate or other settings, or perhaps pick another voice.

5. Patrick J macrumors 65816

Patrick J

Change the Region (Formats tab in Language&Text) to United Kingdom.

That should now work.

I suggest you download the "Daniel" voice, in speech preferences, as it is much better.