Engraved iPad returnable?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Richard8655, Mar 7, 2012.

1. Richard8655 macrumors 6502

Not that I want to do this, but just wanting to know. Is an engraved (by Apple) iPad 3 returnable for refund within the 14 day period? I scoured their returns section, and not a word on not allowing engraved iPad returns.

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

3. Richard8655 thread starter macrumors 6502

I just talked to Apple customer support (3/7/2012). They said they now accept returned engraved iPads under the same 14 day return period as non-engraved. The policy changed because they now replace the back plate during recycling.

So those holding back on engraving for fear of no return policy, feel liberated to engrave.

4. johndallas999 macrumors 6502a

johndallas999

Please tell me why anyone in their right mind would engrave an iPad? That is the most ludicrous thing to do with something you'll either give away or resell someday. Do you paint your name on your car when you buy one?:confused:

5. Richard8655 thread starter macrumors 6502

I keep my Apple products until they die or no longer work for whatever reason. I don't flip them whenever something new comes long, so for me not an issue. Apple products are known for their personalization aspect, so unlike a refrigerator or toaster, I look at it differently. And if it get's lost, there's a chance it would be returned if you engrave your name and address.

6. OH!MAC™ macrumors member

OH!MAC™

now i'm thinkin a phone # or email engraving isn't such a stupid idea.

7. theanimaster macrumors 6502

theanimaster

I had my wife's iPad engraved, but they included + signs instead of spaces. What the ****? In the preview there weren't any spaces. In the receipt, the spaces showed up... but I thought they would be invisible spacers. They aren't. I'm a bit ****ing pissed.

8. Beta Particle macrumors 6502a

Contact Apple, this is clearly an error on their part. And be calm about it, it isn’t the person on the other end of the phone’s fault.

9. darngooddesign macrumors G3

What did Apple say when you contacted them before posting on here?

10. Redjericho macrumors 6502a

I just had it engraved "Mine"

Won't hurt resale value, and it makes it a little more to me than a piece of hardware.

11. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

12. Khall102 macrumors newbie

13. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Cars, no, cars are bland mass produced machines.

iPad? again, chinese mass produced soulless blah.

My custom handcrafted in TN bike, yea, it has my name etched in the frame.
    http://lynskey.blogspot.com/2008/02/new-classier-etching.html

Different strokes for different folk :)

14. monaarts macrumors 65816

This doesnt make sense to me...

I bought a refurbished 32GB iPad 1 right after they were first released for $500. I have used it for about 2.5 years now and just sold it yesterday for $200. If you break it down, that is a $120 per year that it cost me to own this. If I waited another year for it to break down before I needed to replace it I would have been out $500, or $145 per year. So instead of waiting until my device is completely useless and non-sellable (other than a few bucks for parts), I sell it to buy a new one.

A friend of mine used to joke about how much money I was wasting because I bought the new iPhone every year until he realized HE was the idiot for not buying the new one. Every year but this year (because of my company limitations), I have bought an iPhone on contract for $200 + $250 early upgrade fee but sold my old iPhone for $450. So I paid taxes of $15, big deal!?

This is 1 of the reasons I buy Apple products - to always have something new for almost no cost!

15. jcliden macrumors member

hahahahah niceee~