Engraved iPod helps police catch thief

velocityg4

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
TITUSVILLE — An anti-theft message left on an iPod helped Titusville police grab the man accused of stealing it.

Wilford McCloud, 25, Titusville, faces one count of burglary and one count of grand theft.

Titusville Police said they stopped McCloud at 5 a.m. Monday after seeing him riding a bicycle without proper safety lights.

During the conversation with officers, McCloud pulled out an iPod engraved with its owner’s name and the phrase, “Please don’t steal me.”

Officers took the iPod and released McCloud, who claimed he bought the music player for $20.

The iPod owner reported it stolen the next day. Detectives arrested McCloud Wednesday morning after another interview.
It's good that the engraving actually worked.

Link: http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070823/BREAKINGNEWS/70823028&template=news0301

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
Smart, this is what iPod engraving should be for IMO, but I'm just careful with my iPod, never leaves my pocket (and I'm one of these people who would know if I got pick-pocketed).

yetanotherdave

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2007
Bristol, England
Smart, this is what iPod engraving should be for IMO, but I'm just careful with my iPod, never leaves my pocket (and I'm one of these people who would know if I got pick-pocketed).
How? (serious question) some of these guys are pro's, you'll never know until you go for the thing that's been lifted.

iTeen

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2007
Washington
How? (serious question) some of these guys are pro's, you'll never know until you go for the thing that's been lifted.
well...at least for my ipod i normally have it plugged into my ears...i would notice if the music stopped or my earphones got plucked out of my ears.:rolleyes: