Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dragon2611

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2004
Macbook Airs tend to laser engrave quite nicely, (Managed to get my 2011 refurb air done shortly after buying it) but I'm guessing doing so actually voids the warrenty since it's a modification.

Or would it?

Obvisouly if you're stupid enough to hit the translucent apple logo and burn your display then there's no way one could expect apple to fix that under warrenty.

But say if you had it engraved on the lid on a new macbook and the logic board failed 6 months later would it be resonable to expect that to be repaired/replaced under warrenty?

Thinking of getting a new Air or Pro/Retna and part of me wants to get this one engraved as well as I quite like having a macbook that looks different than everyone elses, that and a laser engrave is much more perminant than just sticking vynals on the back. That said mac's aren't cheap so I'm wondering if it's playing a rather dangerous game.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
Macbook Airs tend to laser engrave quite nicely, (Managed to get my 2011 refurb air done shortly after buying it) but I'm guessing doing so actually voids the warrenty since it's a modification.

Or would it?

Obvisouly if you're stupid enough to hit the translucent apple logo and burn your display then there's no way one could expect apple to fix that under warrenty.

But say if you had it engraved on the lid on a new macbook and the logic board failed 6 months later would it be resonable to expect that to be repaired/replaced under warrenty?

Thinking of getting a new Air or Pro/Retna and part of me wants to get this one engraved as well as I quite like having a macbook that looks different than everyone elses, that and a laser engrave is much more perminant than just sticking vynals on the back. That said mac's aren't cheap so I'm wondering if it's playing a rather dangerous game.

As long as the laser engraving doesn't cause any damage I don't see it being a problem. If you're worried, just cover it with a sticker before taking it for service.

If the display ever needs to be replaced, be prepared to lose your engraving though or shell out to have it done again.

jahala

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2008
I used to buy and sell Mac laptops and have had several opportunities to get warranty repair work done. In my experience, Apple still honored the warranty if its techs determined that the user modification/damage did not directly nor indirectly cause the problem I wanted fixed.

They have never stated that as a policy, but that has been the excellent treatment I have always been given.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.