engraving, yay or nay? other customization?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mopppish, Mar 11, 2011.

1. mopppish macrumors 6502

Hi.
    So, I'm budgeting hardcore this month to be able to buy an ipad for myself and the girlfriend at the end of the month.
    It's going to be a surprise for her and, to be honest, a little bit of a sentimental thing.
    She's most likely going to Ireland in the fall to work on her master's in audio, while I'm staying here in WI. We've worked on multiple art projects together (I'm a musician and, although she's studying audio next year, she often does experimental video). I'm very interested in the creative possibilities on the ipad for our respective fields, and there's also the bonus of me being able to buy her first HD video camera (even though it won't be great on the ipad, I've always wanted to get something like that for her).
    Anyway, I was going to engrave each ipad with our nicknames for each other. I know, it's really sappy, but we're both going to have the exact same ipad and I don't know what kind of case she's going to get, so it's at least a way for us to easily tell them apart. And also, it will remind her of me while she's in Ireland. :D
    I'm sort of debating the engraving thing, mostly because of resale value. We've been together 4 years, so I'm not too worried about us breaking up and hating that out ipads still say "noodlearms" and "freckleface" respectively. However, due to our creative fields, we'll likely want to have at least close to the latest and greatest (maybe ipad 4's would be next for us), so I don't want to TOO greatly diminish the resale value of the devices.
    What do you think? Is there some other non-permanent, classy way (nice, customizable removable stickers?) that I could customize our ipads?
    Thanks!

2. jdminpdx macrumors 6502

lol

3. mopppish thread starter macrumors 6502

Wow, thanks... :rolleyes:
    I admitted it was sappy. Anyone have a sticker recommendation or something?
    Poke fun at me if you want, but offering advice at the same time would be appreciated.

4. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68000

PBG4 Dude

That's pretty cool you want to do that. I've been thinking about engraving too, but can't think of anything "cool enough" to etch on it forever.

5. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Better to engrave your iPad with another's nickname than get a tat. However, if you want to resell, don't engrave.

6. dadoftwogirls macrumors 6502

dadoftwogirls

Engraving sounds good in theory. But to me, I like to keep my stuff pristine and typically resell later as a means to help me with my upgrade addiction. As such, no engraving.

7. JonMPLS macrumors 65816

I have not checked the fine print recently, but engraving used to really screw up your return options . . .

8. fertilized-egg macrumors 68020

Even though it has sentimental values, the reality is that electronic devices just don't live that long and can be quickly replaced with much better performing ones because they are so much more fun to use. I'd say just put a name tag or something like that and stay away from engraving.

9. emw macrumors G4

emw

Personally I would stay away from engraving, but something like the ZAGG Skin may be a nice option. You could customize a skin with a sentimental photo or some other image.

10. FinalCutJay macrumors member

If you're buying twin ipads and consider engraving them for the sentimental value why would you also consider later on down the road selling it?

If you think you will end up trying to sell it don't engrave or just get hers engraved. I'm pretty sure by this time next year you will still love your ipad but be drooling over the next new model. Im keeping my options open and not engraving the thing.

11. mopppish thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I'll probably avoid engraving.
    Maybe for a $150 ipod nano, but not a $500 ipad.
    I appreciate the Zagg suggestion, but I'm looking for something much smaller.
    In fact, I've been trying to find something like this to cover the apple on my Macbook Pro lid for quite some time- a small, custom, good-quality, removable vinyl sticker. But all the ones I've found either cover the whole damn device or ACCENTUATE the apple logo. (I'm trying to hide it because it's an obnoxious bright distraction when you're on a dark stage)

12. celo48 macrumors 6502a

Nay. Reselling is difficult especially if you put something personal.

13. reputationZed macrumors 65816

I had an iPod engraved for a birthday present for my at the time fiancee. something original like "you are the music in my life". About a year or so after we broke up, and she was living with someone else, I got a call asking if I still had heat iTunes music on my computer, and if so could I burn her a copy. Seems the engraved iPod had died a premature death. Is my story going to help you in your decision, probably not, but its my only experience with engraving.

14. emw macrumors G4

emw

An option may be to create a custom ZAGG skin with multiple smaller images on it that you'd cut out and use for multiple purposes - covering your Apple logo, personalizing the iPad, maybe even some for an iPhone. With the real estate available in an iPad skin, you should have plenty of room to work with.

May want to contact them to see how opaque the covers are...

15. robdam1001 macrumors 6502a

16. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Don't engrave. If you need to customize, then get a sticker or case.

17. mopppish thread starter macrumors 6502

I like where you're going with this.
    Anyone try this before? Do the skins cut well?