Enhancing the audio in a video

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 2wada, Jul 29, 2013.

1. 2wada, Jul 29, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2013

2wada macrumors newbie

I have a video in which i want to mute the dominant voice and amplify the weak one in the background.
    P.S: when i try to eliminate the background noise (up to 80%) the voice (i want to make louder) remains and i can hear it a bit better when i increase the volume...but it is getting annoying and too loud....
    any help?

2. blueTattoo macrumors member

3. luisito macrumors regular

luisito

You are either compressing your audio way too much, or the compressor that you are using is not good.

but I think that you are doing things wrong... Making things louder (increasing the volume) will not help you, because if you cross the threshold, you will pick up even more noise. The proper way to hear only what you want is to eliminate noise according to the frequencies that you don't wish to hear and amplifying your desired frequencies.

4. liam-h macrumors newbie

You'd probably be better using the normalise function in something like audacity since it's free, and after that running it through a noise filter. If you can find a portion of the audio where all you can hear is the background noise you can use that to tell the filter what to cancel, alternatively you can create a second track running along side your audio, clone just the noise section to be the same length as the track, then invert the wave. By inverting the noise wave you cancel out the noise manually, for example, say part of the wave goes up to 1dB, if you invert it, that same point goes to -1dB, so when you track the normal and inverted tracks together, the 1dB and -1dB even out to 0dB.

Hopefully you get what I'm saying and it wasn't all jumbled up :p.