Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lamarak

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 8, 2010
I really believe next year when new iphone comes out, that changing to a new phone will opt you out of the unlimited, but if stay with current phone probaly can keep it. I think when next year rolls around, we are going to be in a new phase of plans. I think this was the last hurrah for unlimited, and I hope Im way off and wrong about this. I really do. I think the next year will be a very interesting one for wireless.

Sorry, meant to put a question mark at end of the title.

draz

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2010
I hope that AT&T comes out with more reasonable plans instead of these silly 200mb and 2gb plans that people can blow through in a day or a week when using the iPhone to its fullest....

I do think Unlimited is going to be over but it wasn't really unlimited to begin with when there was throttling and other things once 5gb (or was it 6gb?) was reached.

Travisimo

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2009
Well, at least you know you can enjoy unlimited for 2 more years if you want to. If you want to upgrade next year and they do away with unlimited grandfathering, then you can either accept the new terms or switch to the competition and just pay the termination fee. You have a choice either way, unless all of the major carriers do away with unlimited (wouldn't be surprised).

More than likely, AT&T will allow those of us who have grandfathered unlimited data to keep it indefinitely. My friend who works for AT&T says they have grandfathered plans still in their system from many years ago.

chakraj

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2008
So Cal
No I don't think they will until our plans run out. they can not cancel your plan while you are under contract, without letting you waive any damages caused by the cancelations of said plan. So no they won't, or if they do you will be able to leave with either no or a reduced ETF. I do believe they will try and end it, but the blowback from people leaving will be so great they may regret it. That is all that's keeping me with them and it's been 10+ years on two line family plan.

Jeffrosproto

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2008
I do think Unlimited is going to be over but it wasn't really unlimited to begin with when there was throttling and other things once 5gb (or was it 6gb?) was reached.

Nope, unlimited was (is) truly unlimited. There is no soft cap or throttling put in place by AT&T.

falconman515

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2010
Dude REALLY ????

Change the name of the thread.... if you must keep this pointless thread.

Dont waste our time with what you THINK will happen, this forum is to talk about serious validated issues not to express your thoughts and feelings.

Thanks for being a part but dont do this kind of thing again please... the name is gonna make everyone open the thread to to read this... WHO CARES :rolleyes:

I normally dont talk much smack but these threads are getting WAY out of hand.

Attachments

• cool_story_bro.jpg
    cool_story_bro.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 41

james92se

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
Dallas, TX
I think there's no doubt that AT&T will eventually force everybody to give up their unlimited data. I think all other carriers will do something similar. It's inevitable IMO

Lamarak

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 8, 2010
Ya i forgot to put a question mark in the title. was mybad and deserve what I got. Sorry about the post. It was a mistake.

Vertigo50

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2007
Prediction: All our iPhone boxes next year will have fairy dust and a receipt for own personal unicorn.

Okay, now that's just ludicrous.

Obviously, it will be a REBATE for a personal unicorn, not a receipt.

Gosh, I don't know where you get these crazy ideas, I really don't.

:)

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
I really believe next year when new iphone comes out, that changing to a new phone will opt you out of the unlimited, but if stay with current phone probaly can keep it.

I don't think so. I think you'll be able to keep unlimited 3G as long as you want otherwise there is reduced incentive to upgrade next year -- not what Apple wants. Now when LTE arrives obviously you will have to dump the unlimited the same way you had to dump the free text when you went from 2G to 3G.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.