Enjoyed traveling with my MBA for the first time.

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Reidan, May 23, 2012.

1. Reidan macrumors member

Apr 12, 2012
    I have had my MBA since Christmas day when I received it as a gift. I have carried it around in my daily commute and it has been nice. Last week I was on vacation and it was my first time traveling since receiving it. I really enjoyed traveling with it.

We rented a cabin in the mountains for a week. I took the MBA, but I also took the work laptop, a Lenovo T510. The T510 is a very good Windows Laptop and it handles all of my work items with no problems. And it does leisure items just as well, even games. But I never even took the work laptop out of the bag. So basically I only had it in case I needed to VPN into work to handle any crisis that may have arose while I was out of town.

The cabin was a 3 story building. Main floor was kitchen and living areas. Upstairs were bedrooms. And lower level was game room with a pool table, wet bar, fireplace, etc. I ended up using the MBA on all levels. So moving around in the cabin made me appreciate the size and weight of the unit. Walking up and down stairs with MBA held in one hand was very easy. Only place I never took it was onto the downstairs porch with the Hot Tub!

My wife and son brought their laptops as well. Her is a 15" HP. It never left the main living area. She only moved it from sofa to dining room table. The sons 17" Toshiba never left his bedroom. I am the only one who moved freely around the cabin keeping my laptop with me. Used it for email and web browsing. Played music via iTunes and Pandora. Even played Diablo III when it came out last week. So my MBA helped me to relax on my vacation.

:apple: :D
  2. darkheroz macrumors member

Jan 4, 2012
    I am like you - everywhere with my Apples. But wondering - if this is good and relaxing vacation ? In the past good for me was to be on sea side, alone and drinking a beer. Now ...
  3. wildozier macrumors newbie

Nov 9, 2010
    I traveled with mine all the time. There is alot to be said for the lack of weight. Unfortunately when my wife saw how easy it is to maneuver with it from place to place she claimed it as her own.
  4. Reidan thread starter macrumors member

Apr 12, 2012
    I hear ya. We drank our share of wine while hot tubbing or just sitting on the porch listening to the sounds of nature. I like the mountains, the wife likes the beach. We have another trip planned in July which will be a trip to the beach.

I was not attached to the MBA at all times. But it was nice to have music streaming while we played pool or darts. And in the evenings I like to read. I have some daily web forums I like to keep track of. And playing Diablo III on the release date was fun too.

If I end up getting a MBP thru work after the next refresh, my wife has already told me she wants my MBA! :eek:
  5. KohPhiPhi macrumors 6502a

Feb 9, 2011
    Last year I took a 2-month vacation around Asia.

Obviously, 2 months is too long to stay away from work, so I had to bring my laptop to catch up with my work load. My MBA was the perfect companion: light, compact, easy to tap open and work from any Starbucks cafe...

There's no better road warrior than a MBA.
  6. DollaTwentyFive macrumors 6502a

Nov 11, 2010
    Parts Unknown
    It's great on the road. I love that you can actually use it on a plane without the trouble of a normal sized laptop.
  7. ritmomundo macrumors 68000

Jan 12, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    The 3 of you took 4 laptops on your vacation? :confused:
  8. Reidan thread starter macrumors member

Apr 12, 2012
    Yeah, don't know if we are just a too Modern Family, or none of us like to share!!

We did occasionally put them down to go outside and enjoy nature. :rolleyes: