Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suecan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 30, 2008
Toronto, Canada
This is the first time I've posted to this site so I hope I'm in the right place!
I belong to a forum where people post thumbnails through pixentral, but I'm unable to enlarge them. The suggestions I've had are to right click on the picture (or since I'm on a mac ctrl click) but that doesn't work. Another suggestion was to uncheck under Firefox preferences block pop up windows which I have done, but still no luck. I use a macbook with a trackpad if that makes a difference.
Can anyone help me?
Thanks
Sue

Suecan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 30, 2008
Toronto, Canada
I've tried using Safari instead of Firefox, but I'm still unable to enlarge thumbnail pictures such as this one below.
http://www.pixentral.com/hosted/1qOd...oALV_thumb.jpg
On the Elements Village forum, which is a wonderfully helpful and supportive forum, no-one could figure out what I should do and someone suggested I try this forum as it's specific to Mac.
I went into Firefox Extensions as Clevin suggested and downloaded image zoom, but it hasn't made any difference.
Any other suggestions?
Thanks
Sue

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
image zoom is meant to resize image disregard its original resolution. Its not really the answer for your question.

Im a little bit confused about what is the exactly problem you have encountered.

You mean you uploaded an image at the host server, and then you insert it ino a forum as thumbnail, whats next? can you describe exactly how to reproduce the problem you have? step by step?

Suecan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 30, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Here is a hypothetical situation when I encounter the problem
1.I post a question in Elements Village about erasing a background in one of my photos and replacing it with a new background.
2. I post the photo I’m trying to work on through pixentral as a thumbnail image.
3. Several of the forum members reply to me showing me how to replace the background. They may also have worked the photo I’ve posted to show me how it can look.
4. Some of these replies contain a thumbnail-again sent through pixentral. They are only useful to me if I can enlarge them to look at and at this point I cannot do that.
5. The people on the forum seem to be able to open my thumbnail and enlarge it. They can also enlarge those other thumbnails that have been posted by other people to help me with my problem.
I have a macbook with a trackpad if that makes any difference.
Thanks again for the help
Sue

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
sounds like a problem of how the thumbnail link in that forum works, which forum?

Suecan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 30, 2008
Toronto, Canada
I get a thumbnail, but cannot enlarge it. If it is a screen shot for instance to help with something I'm trying to do Photoshop Elements, it is not large enough to be of use.
I'd rather not set up a new profile if there is another easier way of doing it.
Thanks for the advice Clevin-no-one else seems to be able to help me.
Sue

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
1. My firefox 3 is working fine with that post. So I will have to assume there is something not working properly on your machine.

Some question to further figure things out.

A. what addons do you have with your firefox?

B. did you disable javascript in firefox?

C. did you mention that safari also has this problem on your machine?

D. What happens if you click and drag the thumbnail to empty space of "tabbar". Will a new tab open for the full size image?

Suecan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 30, 2008
Toronto, Canada
In answer to your questions Clevis:
A. The only add on I can find in Firefox is one called Image Zoom 0.3.1
B. javascript is not disabled.
C. I have the same problem with Safari.
D. Do you mean drag the thumbnail to the tab bar at the top? I tried that and it just seems to become a bookmark bar.
Thanks for continuing to try and help. Most people would have given up by now (I almost have myself!)

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
it is probably beyond firefox if your safari presents same problem.

I can suggest you "try" new profile of firefox just for the research (its safe as long as you preserve your old profile). Since at this time, I have no clue of whats possibly the problem, and new profile MIGHT be the only true solution. (PS. you don't have many addons, so you can backup your password and bookmarks, new profile shouldn't be difficult)

However, I still think the dragging trick should work. I attached a pic below.

Tabbar is referring to the row of firefox's user interface where the tabs are located.

Tabbar has two parts, most of the time, one part belongs to tabs, the other, as show as the red square in the pic, has not been occupied by tabs. I call it empty space of tabbar.

What I would like you to try, is to drag the image thumbnail to that empty space of tabbar (follow the dash line in the pic). You will see a place holder indicator on tabbar when you do, just to the right of your last tab. In attached pic, its an downward pointing blue arrow, it might looks different on mac version of firefox 3.

Finally, even if your tabbar are filled with tabs... hehe, you can still drag the imag thumbnail to tabbar, just be patient and moving around until you see the place holder indicating where you can release mice button and a new tab will open.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    130.5 KB · Views: 79
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.