ENORMOUS Macbook Snow Leopard 10.6 Startup Problem!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by 13bolducj1, Oct 5, 2009.

1. 13bolducj1 macrumors newbie

13bolducj1

I have recently installed Snow Leopard on my aluminum Macbook :apple:. I dont have a lot of GB available, so I decided to reinstall Leopard and then install Snow Leopard again for more GB. I accidentally inserted the iMac install disk 1 (Not the Macbook install disk), because I have a iMac as a home computer. When I inserted the install disk, it tells me to restart my computer. I click Restart. But, after trying to boot, it comes up with the white screen. This lasts for about 15 seconds. After 15 seconds, my Macbook restarts again! It keeps repeating to restart over and over again. After about 15 restarts, I tried and ejected the disk and restarted my Macbook without the disk and see if it cancels the installation. When I boot it up with no disk, it cant read my HD anymore! :( It comes up with that flashing folder with a question mark on it. Any ideas?? I tried to insert the disk and the same restart problem occurred. I found my original Macbook install disk and tried inserting it into my macbook at startup and see what happened. It still shows the ? Folder. I tried a lot of things like booting with the CD at startup (Command-C), still no luck. I tried holding option at startup as well. It shows a big lock icon where I insert the administrator password. I inserted the password, and nothing happened. I kept trying over an over again. HELP!!! :confused: UPDATE: PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!!

2. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Hmm, looks like its pretty screwed up...

Try disconnecting it from all power sources, and take the battery out. Leave it like that for an hour (with NO DVDs in it) then try boot from the DVD that came with your computer.

If that doesn't work then take it into Apple and tell them what happened and what you've tried.

Good luck!

3. 13bolducj1 thread starter macrumors newbie

13bolducj1

I need this Macbook for school too! :(
    BTW, I will try what you said.

4. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

I have a MB for school too.

Whats the time where you live? Is it too late to pop into an Apple Store or even ring Apple Care (if you still have Apple Care)?

5. 13bolducj1 thread starter macrumors newbie

13bolducj1

Um... I live in Hong Kong, so its exactly 12 hours difference with north america. :)

6. 13bolducj1 thread starter macrumors newbie

13bolducj1

OH, and btw, we have a mac assistance counter at the school.

7. 13bolducj1 thread starter macrumors newbie

13bolducj1

Ok, I left the macbook without its battery for an hour. I turned it on, put the disk inside, and turned it off. I re-booted it. Now the mac startup screen stays grey! The apple logo or folder icon doesn't pop up! I thought it was loading, so I left it there. After 2 hours of waiting, I went back to my Macbook. STILL ON THAT GREY SCREEN! :eek: What is going on?!?! I cant even eject my disk!!

8. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

try holding option on startup and then choosing your main boot partition. if you didnt install the iMac install disc over your MacBook then you will be fine.

not sure why you are trying to install Leopard over a Snow Leopard install and and then install Snow Leopard over that. unless what you mean is you want to do a clean install which will give you a lot of space back as its deleting all your data and then reinstalling a fresh OS.

9. 13bolducj1 thread starter macrumors newbie

13bolducj1

Yes, that is what I mean. But when I hold Option at the boot, it shows a big lock and a bar where I insert text. Thats all it shows. I insert my password and another admin password, but nothing happens. I press the arrow or enterand then my text disappears.:eek:

10. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Have you backed up all your data already (prior to starting this all)?

If so, can you just boot straight to the Snow Leopard DVD (hold the C key while starting up) and just run Disk Utility and wipe the drive clean with a reformat?

There's no reason to install Leopard first to recover HDD space. If you format with either and then just start with Snow Leopard the end result will be the same; a fresh installation with no personal files/applications present.

11. 13bolducj1 thread starter macrumors newbie

13bolducj1

PROBLEM SOLVED EVERYONE!!!:D

12. 13bolducj1 thread starter macrumors newbie

13bolducj1

Problem Solved!!!!!!!

Update: The Macbook has been fixed :D

13. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

Well, don't you think you at least owe the people here that tried to help you the reason why it works now?

14. 13bolducj1 thread starter macrumors newbie

13bolducj1

I took it to be checked up

15. superspiffy macrumors 6502a

and what did they do?

16. 13bolducj1 thread starter macrumors newbie

13bolducj1

Well, they used a firmware password that I didnt even know about. Check my new thread "Macbook Secret Administrator Password????"