Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tl01

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
My photos are the most important part of what I have on my computers. I have photos saved on one of the computers, a back up to iCloud Photo Library, and a time machine back up as well. Is this enough?

jacom700

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2015
Generally - I personally have 2 backups locally, 1 off site, 1 cloud

I am very paranoid about my pictures and music especially as I have over 60 years worth of photos/negatives/vinyl which I have scanned/digitised. I back up my pictures and music to 2 separate NAS drives and 3 external USB drives, one stored off site, plus a Time Machine backup.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
2 NAS (1 personal cloud NAS), 3 cloned backups (1 in fireproof safe) and 1 cloud backup. To many years of photos and expensive artwork files to take a chance of losing.

I believe you will find that most people who value their files will have multiple backups of their systems. Many with clones of their system as well.

eoren1

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2007
Professional photographer - sell landscapes but have just as many images of my kids that I never want to lose to a damaged drive or 'bit rot'.

Photos (4TB) reside on a RAID5 array (Thunderbay 4 with SoftRAID). Backed up to external on site every 6 hours. Also to NAS at work daily.

I've had two drives fail on me in the past year and only had a single image corrupted in the process (tiff file was not backed up in the 6 hour gap between processing the raw files and when the next backup was due to run - drive failed in between). I was able to redo the tiff file.

tl01

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
So maybe one more back up offsite? I would have to leave it at my parents' house. Last time we did this my mom had moved it and we couldn't find it;). That was before the cloud. I'll have to write down where it is and put it in a box that is marked. Lol.

Off to get another drive I guess!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.