enough demand to give away old PPC macs vs trash?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by cdoublejj, Mar 9, 2018.

1. cdoublejj macrumors newbie

cdoublejj

So i've been letting a small stack of PPC mac minis and some G5s collect dust. was wondering if folks buy them on eBay i wonder if i could give them away for shipping $ vs having them ground up and recycled?

2. MysticCow macrumors 6502a

I'm a poor starving teacher and would LOVE a G4 mini and/or a G5.

3. pl1984 macrumors 68020

My recommendation is to put them on Craigslist for free. I can't think of a time when I wasn't able to at least give away old computers / computer parts. Someone might be willing to pay the cost of shipping a free Mini but the cost of packaging and shipping a G5 tends to make them local exchanges. As someone who had to ship a G5 just a few months ago it was a PITA...and that was using the same packaging it came in.

What are the configurations? If you have any later model G5's, especially the quad, you should be able to unload them for free fairly easily.

4. cdoublejj thread starter macrumors newbie

cdoublejj

I haven't seen the G5s yet but, are quads. the minis seem pretty small and not too heavy except only single cores

if serious PM me

5. Mac03ForLife macrumors regular

Mac03ForLife

Hi! I Would love a G4 mini for a pit computer. I am on a robotics team and we need a lightweight computer to serve as a server for our files while at competition.

6. wicknix macrumors 6502

wicknix

I'd gladly pay up to $75 USD for a working quad. I can't imagine shipping being more than $40, so the remaining $35 would be some extra beer money for you. Let me know. Thanks! Heck i'd even take a mini too. :)

7. cdoublejj thread starter macrumors newbie

cdoublejj

i know it's a similar size and weight to the dell T5500 which i shipped not long ago for right about 75. of ocurse your in the midwest which helps. send me a PM

8. cdoublejj thread starter macrumors newbie

cdoublejj

well it ended up being a G5 SERVERS in a 1U form factor and not a tower. one of which did not even power on.

9. wicknix macrumors 6502

wicknix

Ahh bummer. I'd still pay shipping plus a few extra beer dollars for a g4 mini.

Cheers.

10. Macbookprodude macrumors regular

Macbookprodude

I have a Power Mac G5 Quad in perfect working order. How much is it worth these days ? I have original discs, manual, but no box.

11. cdoublejj thread starter macrumors newbie

cdoublejj

12. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Those are...not cheap...to ship. They're also a bit awkward unless you have the original box. I think my negotiated price on my Xserve G5 included shipping, but I seem to recall it costing the seller $50 or so. Granted an original G5 or Mac Pro box-whether Xserve or tower-weighs a good 15lbs by itself.

A while back, I drove up to Indianapolis and picked up a G4(similar in weight) along with two Xserve RAIDs. To be fair, the Xserve RAIDs were Apple's heaviest product at well over 100lbs fully dressed. I think the blades are in the 60lb range. The seller had pulled the drives and packed them separately, but there were a bunch of spare parts including a half dozen drives or so-plus I think he threw in a few G4 towers.

The seller pulled up in a Cadillac Deville and his rear end was sagging. I spread the stuff out through my car and it rode at normal height(fortunately I wasn't in my MG, where the computer equipment alone would have exceeded the weight limit on the car :) ) but I could feel those RAID racks in the trunk.

13. cdoublejj thread starter macrumors newbie

cdoublejj

packed an ex K9 unit police Ford crown vic with about 600-800 lbs of equipment from a fully dressed rack once heading out of phoenix. hit some of the mountain passes on the way out and it handed PRETTY darned well for the weight, probably because it lowered the ride height we even ended up going faster than we realized. :D the outside edge of the tread on all the tires was feathered off and they need to be immediately rotated. all good fun. i'll miss that crown vic for sure.

we re use various server boxes and make sure to double pad and reinforce the corners when shipping. they also have those self expanding, expanda foam like shipping pillows you can put the box that form to fit what ever is in the box.

if you want icing on the cake look up "shock stickers" they change colors if the package is exposed to X or Y amount Gs during shipping.

14. spf2 macrumors regular

spf2

I'd be willing to pay shipping for a G4 mini. Never had one before and would be nice to keep it from being recycled.