Enough Hard Disk space for Time Machine?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by SeanEE89, Jun 20, 2008.

1. SeanEE89 macrumors regular

I have a 250GB External Hard Drive. I was just wondering if that is enough hard disk space for Time Machine to work properly with my MacBook with the 160GB Hard Drive.

2. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Should be - it depends on how far back you want to keep your backups and how much data you create on an ongoing basis. I'm using a 250 with my own MBP (internal 160) and it's serving my purposes well.

3. SeanEE89 thread starter macrumors regular

Well I won't need to go that far back. I just mainly want the security of knowing if my Hard Drive kicks it I can just restore it back to how it was not to long before.

4. chas0001 macrumors 6502a

chas0001

If you are not interested in keeping historic data an alternative would be to clone the disk. There are several utilities that allow you to do this and some provide incremental backups to speed up the process. See : SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner

5. SeanEE89 thread starter macrumors regular

I would prefer to use Time Machine if possible. I have heard of SuperDuper and Carbon Copy Cloner, but Time Machine is already there and it quite simple to set up and use because I can just plug in the external hard drive let it do its back up and unplug it and be good to go.

6. chscag macrumors 65816

Same procedure with either SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner. Also, CCC is free - (actually donation ware). Personally, I have used Time Machine and do not like it simply because for it to be effective you should really keep your external hooked up all the time. But to each his own..... :rolleyes:

Regards.