Enough said.....about xoom and future tablets

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Lamarak, Mar 5, 2011.

1. Lamarak macrumors 6502

I liked this article about the ipad and agree with 100 %. Thought was a good read.

Ipad article

Agree or disagree?

2. redman042 macrumors 68030

redman042

The article was strangely written, but I do agree with its main point.

There are a number of threads in this forum alone that ask the question "iPad 2 vs. Xoom" and start talking about this spec vs. that spec, ignoring the main issue of the overall user experience.

I'm sure there are plenty of tech-savvy individuals here and elsewhere that know exactly what they are and are not getting when they go Android over iOS.

But there are a massively greater number of people that have no idea. They judge based on specs because that's what they were trained to do in buying consumer electronics over the years, and that's what some people tell them to focus on when it comes to a tablet purchase.

I do wish the iPad had some of the features of Android, but I sure as hell wouldn't give up the finely-tuned and massive ecosystem of terrific apps and music and the overall user experience to go the Android route. Not to mention hassling with the fragmentation of the platform. No way.

3. asdfx3 macrumors newbie

It doesn't sound like the author had actually heard of the Xoom until after writing the article and just did a "replace all" for a placeholder she made for whatever iPad alternative there might be.

4. SirStuey macrumors newbie

I have to agree withy asdfx23, the article sounds very oddly written.

While specs don't define a product, they are somewhat important as they determine the software that can be run smoothly 1 year, 2 years, 4 years after it's released.

I have a Moto Droid and find it to be a decent phone. But, as Android was updated every few months, more software features were brought to the table. More graphics-rich apps were released as well. Live wallpapers? My phone can display them, but not without occasional redraw lag. But if I had a Snapdragon-equipped phone, it wouldn't be an issue.

It's all a marketing game. Those with better specs point it out. Those without, point out other notable numbers and features.

I've seen as many people talk about numbers of apps as I've seen talk about specs. 65,000 vs. 100. Someone will ask for help deciding which tablet to get, and (like Steve Jobs himself), one or people will point out the numbers.

BUT, out of those 65,000 apps, how many are used by 90% or more ipad users? How many of those apps will be optimized to take advantage of the ipad 2's dual core processor? What will the numbers be like once Honeycomb's been out for 6 months?

People always look at specs and that's unlikely to change. How many people are comlaining about the ipad2's <1.0MP video sensor? My Droid has a 5Mp sensor, and it produces terrible, terrible images.

The author of the article has the right idea, but their overall arguments just seem wrong and poorly drawn out.