Enough speed?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ImAwesome, Oct 16, 2010.

1. ImAwesome macrumors newbie

ImAwesome

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I'm getting an iBook G3 700 MHz 640 mb ram, cd-rw-dvd drive, 20 gb hdd and airport card. (btw wat does it do? I'm a Mac noob so) I am mostly using it for Internet, school papers, facebook, and watching Justin.tv streams, and watching dvds. Is it fast enough to do all of that? And if so, how fast?

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

You are going to have trouble with Flash videos. The other stuff will be ok, but that machine is ancient.

3. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

The Airport card let's you connect to WiFi networks.

As for performance, it's rather old. It's a mid 2002 model so that puts it at 8 years old. The HDD is small so you will have limited storage. It should be able to do the things you want but will be slow. Although I'm not sure about being able to watch Justin.tv streams.

You can run Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) which is good. This PowerBook can also boot into and run Mac OS 9 which could be an interesting experience.

4. ImAwesome thread starter macrumors newbie

ImAwesome

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Yeah, I grew up in a family who had a computer that loaded pages in about 20 seconds. Can you give me an estimate about how fast in seconds it will load? (Internet)

5. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

No. There are too many factors at play.

6. arnop macrumors regular

arnop

If you only browse the web and watch DVDs, It's gonna be fine. Fine, not great !

7. ImAwesome thread starter macrumors newbie

ImAwesome

Will it play DVD's in full frame rate?

8. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It should. I know my 350Mhz G3 iMac does (only if it isn't doing anything else at the time).