Enough storage?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lorrainetrias, Jul 12, 2014.

1. lorrainetrias macrumors newbie

I'm a uni student and will be buying a mac book pro.
    I'm limited on the budget so my first choice is the mac book pro 2013 retina display 4gb 128 flash storage

Will that be enough for me?
    Personally I don't collect photos or songs on iTunes. I'll only be doing uni work such as essays, power points, internet, and loooots of movies and entertainment

I've had a packard bell for 7 years and been hearing that mac is good so don't judge me and tell me to get windows instead ;P

2. wickoo macrumors member

Well if you want to keep it for said 7 years then no way the base model is going to be enough :)

3. simsaladimbamba

If you only stream entertainment, 128 GB is plenty. And you can always get an external 1 or 2 TB 2.5" HDD (does not need an extra power adapter) with USB 3.0 interface if 128 GB is not enough for storing your entertainment and maybe even for backup purposes.

4. lorrainetrias thread starter macrumors newbie

I probably won't keep my mac book for 7 years. Haha. might replace when I've got a steady job! finish uni in 2 years :)

----------

Yesss :) entertainment purposes
    and essays//PowerPoint that I probably won't save in my mac
    save it on my email.
    Thank you!

5. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Lots of movies and entertainment?

You'll be better off with the sweet spot configuration: the 2.4/8/256 configuration.

6. Martin81 macrumors regular

Martin81

I think 128GB is enough. And if not, there are lots of external storage solutions. With USB 3 even larger data files are exchanged quickly.

7. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

I wouldn't find 128GB enough, but then again I work on projects that create 40GB of temporary files. I know people who mainly use it for internet/word processing, and they get by just fine with 128GB (I know one person who even uses a 64GB MBA!)

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think 128gb is too meager especially if you plan on keeping it an extended period of time. I'd go for a larger one.

9. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

What about of storage do you need when you are mobile....vs....total storage you need. For example I do photography. I have a 2012 rMBP with 768GB SSD. I have usually around 400GB unused on the SSD. When I take field trips I collect the images onto the SSD. When I return home I cull, edit, and complete the work on the images. Then the images are moved off to my external library drives that are 6TB. Those external drives have my images, movies, 500CDs of ripped musics...etc. No need to think about carry that around.

So all I have with me in the rMBP is OS, apps, email, and the SSD's Library folder that has virtually no Documents, Pictures, Music....etc. BTW, I put my music on my iPhone via iTunes. And I put jpg copies of completed photos on my iPad to share. I don't take up rMBP SSD space for those.

Remember, external disk drives are cheap. You can get one for you data library and a second one for Time Machine to use for backups. Don't forget regular backups.

10. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

For your said usage, 128 is more than enough. The only thing you mentioned that may take up some space are "lots of movies" which if you need to, can be kept on a thumb drive.

I am almost completely cloud based. I am not a digital packrat. My 128 has over 85 GB's available. I understand most users aren't like me but for people like me, 128 is even overkill.

Get the base model and save the money. Especially since you said you would most likely get a new machine in a couple of years when you get out.