Enough with the Pre/Iphone battle they are targeting different submarkets

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by theshadow07039, Mar 17, 2009.

1. theshadow07039 macrumors member

Whats the one thing the Iphone has the ultimate alpha male status compared to all the other competitors INCLUDING palm pre. A well developed multimedia system. Look at what happened to the Blackberry storm, they tried to go head to head with the iphone with multimedia and many of their bugs are involved with their multimedia system. Palm Pre's motif is a synergy phone. Its a brilliant idea to have all info at the touch of your hand and I do wish iphone had it. But I have had a first gen Iphone for 1.5 years already and love it. Many people might boo me but I treat my iphone like a mini reference and synergy device. Dictionaries, cook books, classical novels, anything that can get my academic and social life organized (I am a student at a very prestigious university so anything to help me organize my stuff is great). When people ask today why didn't the iphone copy this I can think of many reasons. First of all the lock screen, for a business person or a very busy person you can imagine bubble box after bubble box covering the screen driving you insane. As we say today Apple is not afraid to tweak the UI to appease their consumers with new search capabilities. Palm and Apple are both marketing connection devices. They are phones, small computers, entertainment devices, they keep us connected to everything. Palm pre is a make or break device for Palm. They recruited directly from apple so yes the pre does have an iphone feel to it. But if we look at the OS systems Pre is trying to be a pure cloud device. The OS is totally based on the web, its "applications" are webapps which means if sprint does manage to have many buyers of the pre and is unable to keep their networks ability to handle the usage the pre will literally be dead. No ability to access anything renders the phone useless, remember the chaos when the blackberry email servers went down. It would be the proverbial severing of the jugular which is the con side of its method. But to their logic, the pro side is constantly being connected. Now lets look at the iphone, unlike the palm pre, the iphone takes itself is not a part of the "cloud" but utilizes the cloud to enhance the iphone as a whole. It can be an independent device with standalone applications. So lets look at two possible outcomes. The pre unlike the storm doesn't bust. People are going to complain about its multimedia capabilities or its inability to have standalone apps but will gush over the synergy and apple if it suits them will add more information synergy if it suit thems. Second outcome the pre is the new storm, palm unlike blackberry doesn't have a strong market share to survive the pre bust and will have to be liquidized. Agreeing disagreeing speak your mind, just don't flame, waste of time.

2. sd2009 macrumors 6502

No they're both targeting similar markets. And I'm responding to your title because that is a horribly written post.

3. Goona macrumors 68020

Goona

iphone os: 30 million sold
    webOS: 0

In a way I want the pre to succeeed just so Palm doesn't go under.

4. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

What.....

submarkets?

From the Pre demo it looked liked they were targeting the iphone

5. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

There was only one topic about Palm Pre on the top page of the iPhone forum here. If you didn't want people to be discussing it, you did a fine job of attracting attention to it by doubling the number of topics on the subject in this forum.

6. fjk macrumors regular

7. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

why don't you guys just wait and see how the market will react.

seriously. it's not up for debate. IMO the pre is gay. multi touch rules. apple rules. iPhone... rules.

it's really not that big of a deal - and yes it is QUITE annoying

8. D-Jam macrumors member

I give props to Palm and the others for their "iPhones" that they are coming out with, especially Google with Android.

For me, my choice was going to be a G1, but now seeing the level of app development and coverage the iPhone is getting on the market, I wanted more to get in on Apple and where I see things going with iPhone. You can literally run your life on it, especially now that the landscape keyboard is going to be available all over the phone.

I'm sure Palm, Google, RIM, and Samsumg will make dents for those who are anti-Apple or whatever, but my biggest draw is mostly the wide range of Apps for iPhone. You can customize it to work the way you want.

When the exclusivity contract ends on AT&T, you know it'll just take over the market even more.

9. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

it seems to me they are aimed squarely at the same market. The Pre's advertising basically calls the iphone out specifically.

10. ruinfx macrumors 6502a

11. phobic99 macrumors 6502a

phobic99

This.

I couldn't and didn't read the original post but I'll just say that competition is good for everyone. It keeps the innovators innovating IMO.

This post brought to you by the letter I.