Enraged Bitcoin Fans Smash iPhones Over Apple Snub

Greg.

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 12, 2010
London, UK
http://www.wired.com/wiredenterprise/2014/02/watch-working-iphones/

The bitcoin community isn’t too happy about Apple banning the last available bitcoin wallet from its App Store. Many of those who truly believe in the digital currency are now smashing their iPhones in protest of Apple’s policy — and in the hopes of winning a free Android phone.

These rather amusing protests show just how much bitcoin means to the true believers, but it also highlights the tension between these zealots and the everyday world. Apple’s ban may be a response to uncertainty over how government regulators will treat the digital currency.

Apple banned the popular Blockchain wallet yesterday, and the protest started very early this morning when, on the popular discussion site reddit, someone named “round-peg” promised to hand out Nexus 5 phones to people who posted videos of themselves smashing working iPhones — one phone for every 100 up-votes on the site. The post was quickly up-voted to the front of reddit, and then removed, apparently for violating reddit’s policy, which prohibits reddit vote manipulation.

The first person to do it was Jeremy — a missionary on furlough from Argentina, who asked that we not use his last name. He smashed his iPhone with a steel bar, whispering as he did it because it was the middle of the night, and he didn’t want to wake up his wife and kids. “Go bitcoin. Down with Apple,” he says after obliterating the device:

Prise

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2008
What's bitcoin? Wasn't that on some kind of TV show? The something Wife or another on NBC.

Prise

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2008
Is this some kind of fiat currency you win in a game (like world of warcraft) or or some kind of online community, something along those lines?

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014
So they destroy the device because they don't like a move the manufacturer made? The human capacity for stupidity never ceases to amaze me.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
So they destroy the device because they don't like a move the manufacturer made? The human capacity for stupidity never ceases to amaze me.

Right? And you know a lot of then will eventually just get another iPhone. Lol

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014
Right? And you know a lot of then will eventually just get another iPhone. Lol
Yeah, and then smash that one the next time they disagree with something Apple does. Some people lack the ability to learn from their mistakes.

Chris7811

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2012
Bitcoins are stupid as ******* go get a life people you do not need that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry for you people that like BITS*** why do you do this instead of selling the phone and getting another type of phone!!!!!!!!!!?

bigjnyc

macrumors 603
Apr 10, 2008
Not sure what these idiotic videos will prove or accomplish. I'm worried about the human race. seriously.

SomeGuyDude

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2011
NEPA
Bitcoin = a really, really stupid digital currency with a value only in its anonymity. For most people there is roughly zero reason to give a toss about it, and I feel like these idiots are throwing temper tantrums because they want to pretend they're being revolutionaries as opposed to actually caring about currency.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Or a tinfoil hat. ;)

For my part, although I've heard of bitcoin, I really don't understand it.
Understanding it is another matter altogether. Either way, it's an interesting idea and I fully support the people involved with it and the ideas behind it.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
Bitcoin = a really, really stupid digital currency with a value only in its anonymity. For most people there is roughly zero reason to give a toss about it, and I feel like these idiots are throwing temper tantrums because they want to pretend they're being revolutionaries as opposed to actually caring about currency.
So how do you earn this money?

easy-peasy

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2014
you go mining for it on the internet. Stupidest thing I've ever heard and I hope the government puts the kibash on these idiots quickly.
I don't care about bitcoin myself, but curious as to why you hope the government 'puts the kibosh' on it? Is it harmful to the global economy in some way?

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
I've never been to a site that ever mentioned this stuff so I'm not going to start now.
It has been mentioned on Macrumors several times(a site you apparently visit). WSJ has had articles about it. It has been written about several times on Forbes.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
It has been mentioned on Macrumors several times(a site you apparently visit). WSJ has had articles about it. It has been written about several times on Forbes.
Well I don't read WSJ or Forbes and yes, I visit this site but I don't read everything posted here, only what sounds interesting.

rablat

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2007
Classified NSA intel
you go mining for it on the internet. Stupidest thing I've ever heard and I hope the government puts the kibash on these idiots quickly.
Yes, because what we really need is more government intrusion in our lives.
You do realize government doesn't solve problems right?

Not saying these people aren't stupid. However it is their iPhones and they are getting exactly what they want, attention.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68030
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
In all honesty.. it's kind of dumb. It would have been great if these people sold their iPhones and and used all the money to donate to some starving children or families. You shot a phone? What a hero.

The whole production is almost as useless as people wanting the 16 trillion dollar in debt government to shutdown Bitcoin because they like it when Americans have to pay interest on their own money back to the Fed.