Enroll in one class at a JC to get education discount?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by strwberryfields, Jun 10, 2009.

1. strwberryfields macrumors newbie

Hypothetically speaking, is it possible to enroll in a one unit class at a junior college and then use the education store discount? As long as the college qualifies, are you considered a student if you just take one class? Has anyone ever heard of/done this?

2. Unprocessed1 macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

The cost of the class might be more than your discount...it's a pretty lame idea IMO. Just buy from MacMall.com

3. Evolesque macrumors member

If you walk in they will probably give you a discount anyways. They did this when I walked into the apple store today to buy my 13" mbp. I did have my college ID on me but they never asked me to show it. Then again, I think the guy that helped me was new guy and pretty cool about things. He didn't believe me when I said the 2.26 ver. was 1099 after discounts and had to look it up. But he also just put me down for some random school I would assume because you have to type a zip code of a qualified school in the sales handheld for the discount to register. Either way, give it a shot.

4. polterdice macrumors newbie

YES!!! Go for it. I'm in a junior college and I see people pick up a class for the discount. It may seem trivial on some hardware, but you can save A LOT on software. Sometimes they stick around for the classes, sometimes they don't. And in California, where courses are only $20/unit, you can get your discount at only $60 a class.

Scope out what you want and compare the costs.

5. Shawny D macrumors member

Shawny D

Would the education discount outweigh the cost of taking the class?

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

How are we supposed to know? Look up tuition.

7. strwberryfields thread starter macrumors newbie

the discount would outweigh the costs of the class by a lot, or i wouldn't be considering it. a one unit class is only $20. computer costs and applecare are discounted, but not by much. but i would also get the free ipod and i could get adobe cs4 design premium for $350 which is awesome. there is no explanation in the terms and conditions of the education store for how many units = a part time student. so i guess a one unit class would count?

8. polterdice macrumors newbie

You can always call Apple to verify (heard of others having to supply proof of enrollment for Adobe products through Apple) but if you're looking at California Community Colleges, then yes, even 1 unit is considered part time enrollment (it's 1-11 units, 12-18 is full time for fall/spring sem). When you enroll and pay for your class you'll receive a receipt in the mail verifying your enrollment, but there may other fees unless you request to drop them (like $10-15 for a student ID card, which may or may not help you verify enrollment). I've seen many a number of working people sign up for a course for cheap software in my time at a SMC

9. InvalidUserID macrumors 6502a

InvalidUserID

I personally think that going through all that hassle and time consumption would negate any discount in price, but that's just me.

I'm sure you know someone in college, why not ask if they have an Apple store on campus and use their discount? I know I did this about 2-3 times for friends that had already graduated or weren't in college.

If you are in the Bay Area, I could even do it for you...I know as long as you have a Stanford ID you can buy computers and I've never looked at SCU's but I'm sure they have Macs as well.

10. JCastro macrumors 6502a

I think he was directing the question at the OP.

To me it wouldn't seem like it would be enough of a discount to justify going through all the hassle. But if you are looking at getting other expensive software then it could be good for you.

11. anamznazn macrumors regular

anamznazn

It would work...but why don't you just order it online? It's much easier that way.

12. livingonvideo13 macrumors regular

livingonvideo13

The best way to do it is find a friend or someone who is currently going to college and bring them with you to the apple store. Over a year ago I brought my niece who was currently going to college and bought her dinner that night for her trouble. I bought it in my name and she just had to show her ID. My name is now flagged with the "Education Discount" and I just bought a new imac online a few days ago with the education discount and did not have to prove anything again (Received $100 off plus a free iPod Touch and free Printer).

Everybody knows somebody going to school so just bring them along with you and give them something in return like dinner that night. You both win!

My brother is now going up to the apple store with another person he knows that is currently going to college to get the freebies and the discount.

Work the system.

13. dolphindolphin macrumors regular

I would enroll. You get a discount and you can learn something also!