Ensuring font compatibility...

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by RiCEADDiCTBOY, Mar 24, 2010.

1. RiCEADDiCTBOY macrumors 6502a

RiCEADDiCTBOY

I am using the font Eurostile for alot of my website work... is it a standard font? If not what are my options to ensure my site is viewed as intended with the proper font (minus using graphics...)? Is there a standard font similar to eurostile? Thanks guys...

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I have a site built from rapidweaver and for some reason the main default font for the theme I'm using isn't a common font. So viewing the website on a windows browser produces less then pleasing results. I'll be fixing it, but its a good lesson to make sure you use a common font.

3. splitpea macrumors 6502a

Your options:

1) Use a fallback font

2) Use images

3) Use a technique like SiFR

4) Use modern font-embedding techniques (there are licensing and cross-browser issues with this, though).

I strongly recommend against (2) or (3) if you're using the font for large chunks of text: they're meant for smaller quantities like headings and subheadings. That said, if you have large chunks of text in Eurostile, your pages are going to be tortuous to read anyway.

Until (4) becomes easier, you should probably do what most web developers do: use one of a set of about a dozen fonts that you can rely on 90% or more of your audience having, as per angelwatt's link. Although I don't trust that table... I'm pretty sure that several of those fonts are available only with MS Office.

Here's a list of comparative font availability on different platforms, with percentages. The closer to the top of the list, the more you can depend on the font being installed.

4. RiCEADDiCTBOY thread starter macrumors 6502a

RiCEADDiCTBOY

5. splitpea macrumors 6502a

I didn't say headings would be hard to read. I said big chunks of body text using that font (which you've avoided) would be difficult to read.

That's actually a rather nice design. For best results I'd use an image replacement technique for the places you've used Eurostile.

6. RiCEADDiCTBOY thread starter macrumors 6502a

RiCEADDiCTBOY

image replacement technique?

7. splitpea macrumors 6502a

8. lucidmedia macrumors 6502a