Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sargein

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 6, 2012
I used to have an iPhone 7, and with that, whenever I went to a text entry field on the Apple TV using Apple TV remote, I used to get a banner on my iPhone (even if it was locked and on black screen) that I could hard press on and type the text I want. That was so very convenient to enter passwords and search text.

Ever since I upgraded to iPhone XS, I no longer get those banners when I go to text entry fields on Apple TV. I can enter text from iPhone if I launch the Remote app, or from Control Center, but I am NOT looking for that. I want the banner to appear automatically while using a physical remote, as it used to on iPhone 7.

Did Apple change this behavior? Does it still work for iPhone 7/8 now, or no more? Most importantly, how can I get it to work on iPhone XS?

sargein

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 6, 2012
Tried the Apple TV Remote app, but it works only when the app is open. Does not give the auto popup banner when I go to a text entry field. And I never used that app on iPhone 7. Must be something else.

revmacian

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2018
USA
I used to have an iPhone 7, and with that, whenever I went to a text entry field on the Apple TV using Apple TV remote, I used to get a banner on my iPhone (even if it was locked and on black screen) that I could hard press on and type the text I want. That was so very convenient to enter passwords and search text.

Ever since I upgraded to iPhone XS, I no longer get those banners when I go to text entry fields on Apple TV. I can enter text from iPhone if I launch the Remote app, or from Control Center, but I am NOT looking for that. I want the banner to appear automatically while using a physical remote, as it used to on iPhone 7.

Did Apple change this behavior? Does it still work for iPhone 7/8 now, or no more? Most importantly, how can I get it to work on iPhone XS?
Getting the banner still works on my iPhone 8 running iOS 12.1.3. I don't remember having to change anything to get this working.

If I remember correctly, the iPhone XS doesn't have force touch capability - what you described as "hard press" - so that may affect the functionality that you used to enjoy on your previous iPhone. I think the iPhone 8 was the last phone with force touch features.

winmaciek

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2014
Poland/Ireland
1. iPhones never had Force Touch - that feature was reserved for Apple Watch and MacBooks with haptic trackpad.
2. iPhone XS is equipped with 3D Touch. The only iPhones without that feature since iPhone 6s were iPhone SE and iPhone XR.

Reactions: revmacian

revmacian

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2018
USA
1. iPhones never had Force Touch - that feature was reserved for Apple Watch and MacBooks with haptic trackpad.
2. iPhone XS is equipped with 3D Touch. The only iPhones without that feature since iPhone 6s were iPhone SE and iPhone XR.
Ah, ok, it was 3D Touch.. my mistake. so, the iPhone XS can use pressure on the screen to get extra features? It seems I was mistaken that the XS lacked such feature. Perhaps it was the XR I was thinking about.

Thank you for the corrections.

winmaciek

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2014
Poland/Ireland
Ah, ok, it was 3D Touch.. my mistake. so, the iPhone XS can use pressure on the screen to get extra features? It seems I was mistaken that the XS lacked such feature. Perhaps it was the XR I was thinking about.

Thank you for the corrections.
It’s just me being an ****** - it’s Apple’s fault their marketing is confusing.
Also, 3D Touch or not, it doesn’t matter. Not in this case.

Reactions: revmacian

sargein

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 6, 2012
Thanks all, tried several things from posts above - app / sign out and sign in to iCloud, but still don't get that banner if the app is not open.
Good to hear it still works on iPhone 8.
Can anyone with XS / XSMax / XR confirm if it works for you, and if you had to do anything special for it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.