"enter the name and password for an administrator" when moving files from HD to HD???

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by volcom883, Mar 23, 2009.

1. volcom883 macrumors regular

volcom883

hi,
    im trying to move a folder with plenty of files from a NTFS formatted external HD to another HFS+ formatted external HD and i get the following error when trying to move certain folders:
    you may need to enter the name and password for an administrator on this computer to change the item named "folder"
    i click on OK but nothing happens afterwards

i have got the app NTFS for Mac OS installed btw. i dont know if i have to select an option to activate the app or something. it shows in system preferences. the NTFS drive shows in the app options, i even ticked the "access permissions" but still getting the error

help would be appreciated

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

If you read only from NTFS formatted volumes, you don't need extra software, as Mac OS is capable of just reading from them. Only if oyu want to write to an NTFS formatted drive you need extra software like MacFuse + NTFS 3G (both free)) or the one you mentioned.

What you experience seems to be some kind of permission problem.

What permissions have you enabled for the external HFS+ drive or the folder you copy to? (Finder > external drive (>folder you copy to) > right click > Get Info > Sharing & Permissions.

What connection do you use? USB, FireWire, eSata?

Tried repairing permissions with Disk Utility?

3. volcom883 thread starter macrumors regular

volcom883

hi, i have checked and i got the sharing and permissions set to read and write for everybody on the computer. im the administrator btw.
    i am connecting via usb2
    repairing permissions option is not highlighted for any of the external HD in disk utility

i dont know what to do now...

4. volcom883 thread starter macrumors regular

volcom883

update:
    i tried to move folders by folders from the folder i was trying to move.
    the folder is question was actually the backup of "my documents" of my windows computer.
    i did eventually moved folder by folder without problem except for the folder called "my received files" which is the msn received files folder, empty by the way.

update2:
    when looking into my ntfs drive using windows xp it appears that the folder is not empty. there are indeed some files. there was also another folder which showed completely empty but there are plenty of files in it too.
    why mac os wasnt able to show them? anybody?

update3:
    once i accessed my ntfs hd through windows i connected it again to mac os and surprisingly all files which werent visible appeared.
    is there some reading issues on mac os with files written by windows?