Entering bad Edge settings to disable data

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by killerPhoneWant, Sep 17, 2007.

1. killerPhoneWant macrumors newbie

Hi all, I am a AT&T customer without data plan. I just want to use the iphone with Wifi. Can i enter say the tmobile or invalid EDGE settings in the iphone to ensure the iphone wont get access and thus i wont get charged data? has anyone tried this? Logically i think it seems fine but I just want to make sure before i order mine :). Thanks all.

2. sanford macrumors 65816

You have to add the data plan to activate the iPhone.

Although I had previously thought of this as a good idea if you go overseas, want to use WiFi and therefore can't keep it in airplane mode, but don't want to get hit for international roaming charges because of random EDGE connections -- since there's no way to just shut off the cell radio and leave the WiFi on.

3. killerPhoneWant thread starter macrumors newbie

Well no the idea would be that i HACK the iphone using Anysim so that its unlocked. Then pop in my AT&T sim for voice only and the voila! I'm figuring as long as i enter incorrect EDGE settitngs, the phone should not be able to get access to the APN so thus no data for me right?

4. killerPhoneWant thread starter macrumors newbie

5. schulzmc macrumors regular

6. killerPhoneWant thread starter macrumors newbie

I can cofirm that when an AT&T sim is popped into the Iphone (Running firmware 1.02 and unlocked using anysim) Edge Settings dissapear. I guess it has preloaded defaults and EDGE DOES WORK, even though i dont have it on my plan. So i have no way of disabling it WHEN an AT&T sim is inserted. I guess i'll have to wait for the firmware update and try it again.

You COULD always move to a new provider.. i might consider after the firmware update comes out.

Unless there is a hack that we can modify the preloaded defaults on the iphone for edge settings... all AT&T people that want voice only... good luck!