Entering the next chapter of my life: MacWorld

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Joesanerd, Jan 26, 2008.

1. Joesanerd macrumors newbie

Hey guys,
    Just ordered my laptop today, the blackbook with the 4 year applecare plan, pretty stoked about this. I was sooo upset when my Vaio blew up, but I guess it was a long time coming, had it for about 4 years. I love my iphone, so thought why not try Mac...

Anyone have any advise as to what kinda software or upgrades a 3rd year college student might need? Whats the word on Microsoft office 08? And do people prefer safari to firefox?

Thanks,
    Joe:apple:

2. Baba Ganoush macrumors member

Personally I have both safari and firefox. Its just a feeling thing for me, sometimes I am feeling firefox sometimes I am feeling safari. Another good app to get is called appdelete. Its a program that gets rid of all the remains of a program you delete leaving nothing behind. Its pretty nifty.

3. joekix macrumors 6502

joekix

applecare is only 3 years. the 1 year the computer comes with gets mixed in with the applecare

4. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

I haven't really used Office 08 but my Wife uses it alot, no complaints.

As far as the safari vs firefox, I use both. I put my bookmarks in safari so it syncs with my .mac account incase I redo my mac. I always forget my bookmarks when redoing my machines. I have run across some sites that work better with firefox but not many.

5. heatmiser macrumors 68020

I use Firefox exclusively. FF3 has mac-style buttons, which is cool. I'm using Minefield, which is the nightly build of Firefox 3.

6. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

How is FF3?

7. heatmiser macrumors 68020

It's sweet. The interface looks nicer, and the address bar is like Spotlight. Hit Apple-L to open the bar, and then you can just start typing in the title of (whatever), and matching hits will appear as you type. That's the biggest thing I've noticed so far. Oh, and the Options pages are neater. The only downside I've noticed is that the bookmarks page seems less user-friendly than before. And the download tab (Apple-J) no longer includes a button to clear all. You've got to right click on one, and then select to clear everything.

8. Baba Ganoush macrumors member

Any ideas when the final build will be released?

9. heatmiser macrumors 68020

I hear early this year, but no conclusive dates yet. I've been using Minefield for the past couple of weeks, though. The biggest downside is the fact that most extensions don't work (including Adblock). So I use Adblock plus, which isn't as good as regular Adblock. There are supposed to be 3 builds before the final, and right now, it's on 3.0b3pre, so the official will probably be out by March, if not next month.

10. Baba Ganoush macrumors member

So its coming soon, good to hear! I can't wait!

11. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Hate to burst your bubble, but Applecare is only for 3 years. Unless your university offers a special extended plan, which wouldn't be "Applecare" per se, but rather their own special package.

I like Safari because it's simple and clean and offers a very "Mac" look/feel to it, but if you need certain add-ons, Firefox is probably a good idea. Try out both and see what you like better. :)

12. Joesanerd thread starter macrumors newbie

They don't advertise the 4 year applecare, so i guess technically its a promotional thing? It's 4 years for $329.99 but theres a $173 discount involved.

I can't wait til this thing gets here!

13. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Wait, how on earth did you get 4 years of Applecare? This would have been better known if it was provided through Apple. Are you sure your university doesn't have a part to play in this?

14. matperk macrumors 6502

It's a program some universities have. Not publicly available.

15. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

I originally wrote that this must be the case, but the OP still indicates that he has Applecare, not special university coverage.

Unless o/c the OP is considering Applecare to be for 4 years rather than 3.

16. MacDude415 macrumors member

MacDude415

Congrats on your new MacBook! I would suggest downloading a program called OnyX. It is a great utility app that can be used for keeping you computer junk-free and running smoothly.

Good Luck!