Enterprise Developer Program, many doubts.

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by Kaisser74, Apr 14, 2010.

1. Kaisser74 macrumors newbie

Hello everyone, this is my first post:-D

My company is thinking of buying licensed business, enterprise developer program $ 299.

We have some doubts:

Can we distribute our Apps free? to everybody ??
    Can we upload to our website and App anyone to download it?.

Thank you very much, greetings.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Welcome to MacRumors

You can distribute your iPhone/iPad apps for free, but they need to be approved by apple first and they reside in the app store, not your website.

3. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Not when you are enrolled in the Enterprise Program. That is completely separate from the App Store and Apple's approval process.

My understanding of the Enterprise Developer Program is that you can only distribute to people within your own company, not to everybody. You're probably best off contacting Apple for the specifics of the program since I don't believe any of the regular posters in this forum are part of that program.

P.S. Your company must also have at least 500 employees and a Dun & Bradstreet number.
    http://developer.apple.com/programs/iphone/enterprise/

4. Kaisser74 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hello again.

I know the apple website, but in it, there is very little information. : (

My company meets the requirements for the enterprise developer Apple program.

I have found this site:

http://www.nextdayoff.com/

The author of the website is Alex Sokirynsky.
    The application programmer, Alex Sokirynsky choose to use the Ad Hoc distribution method, and thus pass the banning of Apple. This method works with www.nextdayoff.com page, where you have to put the UDID the iPhone / iPod Touch with email. Alex sent you a confirmation within 24 hours and a donation of $ 9.99 in PayPal. After payment you receive a link to download a zip file which you can drag into iTunes and proceed with the installation.

My company wants to do the same.
    I think it is a difficult process for the user, send the UDID, pay by PayPal .... receive a zip, connect to iTunes ... but my company wants to skip the App Store and approval process.

Now, I really interested to know the details Alex Sokirynsky used to create the file. Zip and there is another simple method for the user and that could be downloaded and installed directly on the mobile.

5. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

If your intent is to bypass the App Store approval process, you should probably consider Cydia. As for ad-hoc distribution, that is limited to 100 devices per year, so if you ever intend to distribute more than 100 copies of your app, that's not a good way to go.

6. Kaisser74 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hello again.

Cydia is legal? :)

Our users doesn´t have the jailbreak.

Only 100 apps per year with the Enterprise Developer Program?? Only?
    In the "normal" developer program is 100 too.
    ¿?

Thanks!

7. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Your company meets the requirements of 500+ employees but doesn't want to spend $299 for the Apple-supported program?

8. firewood macrumors 604

AFAIK, you can't use the Enterprise program to distribute apps to other than the enterprise company's employees. And my reading of the developer agreement is that it doesn't allow you to sell apps via the Ad Hoc distribution method. That other developer may be in violation of the agreement, but IANAL.

Also, Ad Hoc distribution is limited to 100 devices total per year.

9. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Well, without jailbreaking you can't use Cydia. I've leave the legalities to the lawyers.

No, I believe the Enterprise Program allows much more than 100 devices per year. It's the Ad-hoc Distribution that is limited to 100 devices, which is the same as the "normal" program, whether that's Individual or Company.

10. Kaisser74 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hello again.

I think that's bad news: (

My company can not sell "apps" out of our company. Right?.
    My company can not have more than 100 phones with the same "app." Right?.

Bad news.

My company has over 500 employees, my company would pay $ 299 license for the program "Enterprise Developer Program, ...
    But we want to distribute our "apps" freely, fully.
    We want to sell our applications. In a way, assembling a "App Store" parallel.
    I guess that Apple is prohibited.

11. beit macrumors newbie

Hey Kaisser74,

I think you are searching to much but not in the right way. Tra to contact apple and explain them our problem. If your company has 500 people that will use an iphone with the application oyu want to create and you explain apple your problem they will for sure help you find a solution.

I had contact with them before and found everytime someone ready to help you.

Don't worry, I'm usre you will find a solution soon..

best regards

enrico

12. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

Just apply, they will give you the information you need.

I don't know where you're getting this 100 phone limit (seems silly since they want your company to have 500 employees), I assume you're confusing Ad-Hoc with In-House distribution.

The enterprise program will let you do what you want to do. Make an app that can be distributed to phones in your company.

The app is stored on your computers in house.

13. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

The problem, if I read this correctly, is that he wants to use the Enterprise Program to sell to consumers outside the company bypassing the app store. Which Apple will not allow.

14. Kaisser74 thread starter macrumors newbie

YES, we wants it.

We think that Apple not allow it.

I am reading terms of use, forums, posts, .... and I think that it´s no possible.

Right? :(

Thanks.

15. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

That's right. If you want to bypass the app store for sales to consumers you can either sell to people who have jailbroken their phones or not at all.

16. MrCrispy macrumors member

MrCrispy

Well,as an alternative platform there's always the millions and millions of Android users he could sell to.

Oh wait...

17. MacToddB macrumors 6502a

MacToddB

1) Just sign up as a a regular developer

2) Make the app FREE... but...

3) Require that users have access to an account/password, administered directly by your company, in order for the app to work.

This is how Netflix, etc., operate. Anyone can download the app, but it's essentially useless without an account.

The downside is you still have to go through Apple's approval process, including for updates, so if you are doing anything they might object to, that could be a problem.

18. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

I guess it's not clear why you want to bypass the app store. That doesn't make any sense at all. Everyone who uses an iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad knows how to download apps. You build the app, give it to Apple to put up and then you link people to it.

19. chown33 macrumors 604

Start by reading the Enterprise Deployment Guide:
    http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/Enterprise_Deployment_Guide.pdf

There is a section on writing and deploying apps only within the enterprise. This doesn't go through the app store, but it does require a digital certificate issued by (and digitally signed by) Apple.

Above all, communicate directly with Apple. They are the ones who can give you the best and most accurate information on exactly what you can and can't do with an Enterprise developer account.