Enterprise Time Machine Backup

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by markfc, Apr 9, 2008.

1. markfc macrumors 6502a

markfc

I know you can backup multiple machine to time capsule but what If I had 15 Macbooks on the network.

How could I effectively back those up using Time Machine. Could I need an xServe with huge SAN Array?

If that even possible?

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I think you'll want a proper tool for Enterprise backup. Time Machine is excellent for what it does, but it isn't perfectly reliable.

3. pprior macrumors 65816

The problem is you'll need enough space to store all that information - I doubt a TM is enough space for 15 laptops to all back up onto.

In order to get the space likely needed, You could setup a mac with external drive array and share that TM volume if you wish - a mini would probably work if it's just TM backup and not frequent file serve stuff.

All depends on how critical this information is. If it is critical stuff, then for that many machines you are going to need more elaborate backup plans.

4. markfc thread starter macrumors 6502a

markfc

This isn't critical stuff to be honest, We're currently looking at an xserve with a fairly hefty san attached so I'll try it on there and see how it goes.

Cheers.

5. pprior macrumors 65816