Entire Dreamweaver-designed site not showing up in IE

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by DarrenDeverux, May 24, 2011.

1. DarrenDeverux macrumors newbie

Hey there, I'm a novice web designer building an html website. This is my 4th website I've built using these techniques and for some reason only the background is showing up on Internet Explorer and none of the content. The site works fine in Mozilla. Can't tell what I've done wrong here, can anybody help?

Here's the site: http://www.lawofficesofeliotgorson.com

I also welcome any criticism of the coding etc. Anything that'll make the site better. Thanks

2. jsm4182 macrumors 6502

That code is a mess. Photoshop/Image Ready always puts out horrible code.

The first thing I see that could be causing a problem is there is a div tag between the head and body. Theres also some weird things with the style in the head, I see 3 start comment tags and 1 end comment tag.

3. Jaffaman27 macrumors member

Oi oi...where to start.. :rolleyes:

Ok.. As they previous guy said.. the code is a big mess..
    And I suggest you go through some basic HTML coding online tutorial/course to get a simple idea of it.. as it seems you have lot to learn.
    And if you want to do websites, you need to learn to code, not just design.

But to without trying it's hard to say what is stopping IE to render your site, but at least you could start by adding a DOCTYPE (google it if you dont know what i mean). That might be it..

Also you should use a separate css-file for your styles.
    Then next step would be to stop using tables and start using div-tags instead. Start to learn the right way the first time. Tables were cool maybe when IE6 was released..

There is so much wrong in your site that its a miracle that firefox renders it as well as it does. Don't take my critique the wrong way. Just trying to push you in the right direction and don't know a super nice way to say that your current coding sucks.

But good luck, hope you get it working and next time take some time to learn the basics of html. :)

4. Dana Beck macrumors member

Dana Beck

Looks as though you have an HTML 5 DOC TYPE in your <head> tag. If you look here (go to "HTML5 DTD-less DOCTYPE" at bottom), you will see that, with an HTML 5 DOC TYPE, IE will comment it out and still go into non-standard "quirks" mode. You don't want this. You need a DOC TYPE with a url, as explained here. If you're using Dreamweaver, try either an HTML 4.01 (transitional for backward compatibility), or XHTML 1.0 (transitional). The latter is the default choice when you choose to make a new blank page.

5. Jaffaman27 macrumors member

Ok.. So u added a doctype...good good..

But rather than that...try this BEFORE <html>
    <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">

I think that should work...dunno if that simply solves your issues with IE, tho..

6. besler3035 macrumors 6502a

7. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

Where to start...

1) The code is messy.
    2) Why use images for titles?
    3) Use wordpress, seriously there are some very nice easy to customised themes out there. It would be far better IMHO to use something more standardised than messy around with bloated Photoshop/Dreamweaver.
    4) The imagery seems very big, it's wasn't the fastest site to download...

With that said the layout doesn't look half bad, when you've got to bugs ironed out it would be good to see the site then.