Entire ipod library missing...

Discussion in 'iPod' started by bleek520, Aug 25, 2008.

1. bleek520 macrumors newbie

I have an 80gb ipod classic, formatted with windows. I have around 55 gb of music and movies on it, and after connecting it to a friends mac book (to play the music on my ipod through his itunes) it's now showing that there is no music or videos. My library was available when connected to the mac book, but after I ejected it (properly) it shows no music or videos. When I connect it to my PC now, it still shows that the 55GB are still on there, but it lists the data as "Other" rather than "Music" or "Video". I have yet to restore the ipod due to irrecoverable music I would lose. Anyone have an idea other than restoring it?

2. bleek520 thread starter macrumors newbie

(funeral march theme playing in the background)

So I restored it using iTunes 7 (up-to-date) and after the iPod rebooted, windows is giving me a dialog from the tray titled "Windows - Delayed Write Failed" and iTunes is not even detecting it anymore. Sounds like a corrupt hard drive. Keep in mind mine has NEVER been dropped or mistreated. Apple is brilliant in making popular ****** media players that need service ONLY AFTER 5 MONTHS OF USE. If my *limited* warranty doesn't cover the repairs I'm never going to own another piece of **** apple device again. If you're not an iPod owner and you're surfing these forums trying to decide whether to buy one or not, DO NOT DO IT!

3. fabian9 macrumors 65816

fabian9

Hi there,

I'm sorry, but your post is just ridiculous. Do you have any idea how many ipods are out there? and how many are not causing any problems? I've had mine for about a year now and it has never given me any issues. The one I had before that for 3 years only gave me problems when I opened it and wanted to stupidly use the internal (CF format) hard drive in my camera. lol. I believe that there are millions of people out there who are not having any problems whatsoever with their pods, otherwise they wouldn't be as popular as they are in the first place.

Either way, yes if you connect your ipod to another computer it will (in most cases) delete your music. You will have been warned by itunes that your ipod is currently synced with another computer and if you want to sync it with your friends computer. In that case it usually deletes the current library stored in your ipod with the one from the new computer.

If your music is still on your ipod but saved as "other data" then you might count yourself lucky as it may be recoverable if you can access your ipod in disk mode.

Fabian

4. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

You brought this on yourself, by not reading (or remembering) what's in the user manual. You lose all your content if iTunes is set to update automatically, and anyway the iPod reformats automatically when you go between a Windoze box and a Mac.

I understand it's a frustrating situation for you, I'd be bummed too if it happened to me, but it's not Apple's fault. ;)

5. bleek520 thread starter macrumors newbie

So I was a bit harsh in my previous post. Apple is proud that their OS can read both OSX and Windows (XP and Vista) formatted hard drives (i.e. iPod hard drives). I can assure you that my iPod and it's data was successfully read (both audio and video) by the mac book. After PROPER ejection of the iPod I have a paper weight. If you sincerely understand my frustration, then you would understand that the iPod Classic (80GB in my situation) is unstable. Do a bit of research. You'll find many similar stories. People SCREWED with an outrageous repair bill for their $249.99 iPod + state tax. For a second just imagine that I'm not the only disgruntled Apple hardware owner. My iPod was internally set to only synchronize manually. The MacBook's version of iTunes was set exactly the same way. I do not connect it to computers that "synch automatically". The iPod DOES NOT automatically "reformat" when connected to a different OS (annk). Even if iTunes is set to automatically synchronize any iPod that's connected, UP-TO-DATE iPods have an override. . My iPod would have my friend's library which would be better than NOTHING. . Did I mention this is my 2nd 80GB iPod classic? Thank Apple's anti-theft policy for the first one. Apple refuses to support successful location of *PROVEN STOLEN IPODS* even though the resources are extremely available. ESN's are not that hard to trace. The cell phone industry is just as bad. Cell phone companies can easily locate stolen cell phones, but since most consumers do not purchase insurance policies, the cellular corporations make more money by forcing consumers to buy new phones. ***Anyway, aside from my rant, any ideas how to COMPLETELY RESET the firmware on iPod classic without iTunes or the default windows reformatting tool?*** I'm just really pissed that a $250 investment is wasted.

6. J@ffa macrumors 6502a

J@ffa

How is it 'wasted'? You've had it five months, therefore it's within the one year warranty. Take it to the Genius Bar at an Apple store and get it replaced.

7. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

Not only were you "a bit harsh", but this last post was completely hostile. Don't expect people to want to help you when you behave like this. Being frustrated is no excuse.

I've reported your last post, and I suggest you shape up in the way you respond to people here who try to give you info. You don't have to agree with everything we say, but you DO have to react with a minimum of good manners.

8. bleek520 thread starter macrumors newbie

iPod has been revived

Please pardon my previous posts...I was drunk and angry, but anyway here's what I've done...

First, I updated to iTunes 8 (not necessary). Plugged in iPod to a Windows vista machine, Vista offered to "Scan and Fix" my iPod, so I said sure. It found a couple bad sectors, and said it fixed it. I tried to connect to iTunes, but iTunes just froze like before. Next, I tried the Windows reformatting tool (before it wouldn't work). After a complete format, I started up iTunes, and it connected. I restored it with iTunes, and now it works. It seemed that when I added music, it synced slower than normal, but that may be from loading the music from an external HD. I hope this helps another disgruntled iPod owner like I was. It never hurts to try it yourself before sending it in for service.

Sorry if I offended someone or hurt some feelings. This is my reconciliation :)