Entire system locking up. Requires hard reset.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Awjvail, Sep 9, 2011.

1. Awjvail macrumors 6502

Hi there,

I've got a 2011 MBP 2ghz running 10.7.1. I installed Lion on release day and haven't had any problems until now.

Now, it seems like my Macbook locks up completely on a daily basis. Absolutely NOTHING responds - the mouse won't move, keyboard doesn't respond, pressing the hotkey to adjust keyboard backlight does nothing etc. It doesn't seem to do it in any specific program. It does it most often in Chrome (as that is the program that I'm most often in), but yesterday it did it in iTunes as well.

I've tried resetting my PRAM and SMC. I haven't made any recent major changes that would warrant such strange behaviour.

Anyone have any idea what it could be? Is there any error logs that could point in the right direction?

Thank you!

2. vmachiel macrumors 68000

Did you install a SSD yourself? I did, and I had the same problems for a while, but somehow not anymore.. Maybe a clean instal?

3. Awjvail thread starter macrumors 6502

Nope... only hardware changes I've made are a few months ago I swapped out the 4gb for 8gb RAM.

4. vmachiel macrumors 68000

Try restore you permission in disk utility, and repairing the disk while booted of the recovery partition

5. MacOCD macrumors regular

When I installed lion I got these very frequently and never got them before I installed lion. Not sure why, but it happens. I'm not even saying yours is lion, or mine is lion, but it's my assumption, and it is the reason I am currently downgrading to 10.6

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I have yet to include a crash/KP/lock up with Lion. For me, its been as stable as SL has.

7. MacOCD macrumors regular

Well, I down-graded and I haven't had a lock up yet. But I'll being upgrading to lion again in about 6 months most likely.

8. jodytek macrumors newbie

Also having sudden lockup late 2010 MBP

I also have a sudden problem, not limited to any specific app. At first thought it was just not waking after being in sleep mode, but no, not so lucky. I am running Lion and have been since the release. I have recently upgraded memory to 8gb to support running VM's. I am going to try going back to the factory 4gb and see what happens.

If you have any other suggestions, please share.

9. Quad5Ny macrumors 6502a

Quad5Ny