Entitled to "cashback?"

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Eclipseon, Jun 8, 2009.

1. Eclipseon macrumors newbie

Hi,

Sorry, but this update from Apple was quite a surprise for me and I would like to know if I qualify for a monetary refund in the amount of the difference in totals between my Macbook Pro (which I purchased approx. 9 days ago, silly me) and its newly released sibling.

Thanks for taking the time out to read and respond!

'Rika

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

You *might* be able to return it, and probably have to pay the 10% restocking fee.

3. Eclipseon thread starter macrumors newbie

Uh...well...I don't really want to return it. I still like my computer and I've already installed a couple of programs on it. I'm just curious if it's possible for my local Apple store to refund the difference in the two computers. :p It's prolly not, but I'm going to try contacting them tomorrow and ask.

4. Nocturnal22 macrumors 6502

What diffrence??? what MBP do you have and you know the base mbp now that is 1699 only has the 9400m and not the discrete so no you wont get a refund

5. Eclipseon thread starter macrumors newbie

Well...I didn't purchase the base MBP. I purchased the one with the 2.66 GHz processor :p And "difference" meaning the difference in prices. Even though the chances may be slim, all hope is not lost. I'm still going to discuss the topic with those employees at my local Apple store.

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

So you bought your computer during a time when rumors were heavy about Apple updates, and now you feel you're entitled to a refund because they dropped the price? I don't think you're entitled to anything, but hey... it has worked before.

7. Eclipseon thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm...I don't feel like it's their fault and, to be honest, I wasn't paying attention to rumors at the time :p But since my purchase falls within the guidelines of Apple's Sales and Refund policy, I'm still more than willing to discuss the possibility of a refund in the difference of prices of the two models ^_^

But yeah...definitely not Apple's fault; however, I still want to see if I'm guaranteed any kind of monetary refund. So please don't throttle me over the whole "oooh...der waz an updatez comin outz soons...whydja buy it now?!!11" ordeal...

8. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Simple answer, no, you are not entitled to a refund, rebate, or return of any price difference.

9. Eclipseon thread starter macrumors newbie

Weird. I feel like I am. I researched this up "da yin-yang" last night and it's stated pretty clearly in their policy. So yeah.

10. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You'll get a "refund" minus the restocking fee if you return your old machine and get a new, lower-priced model. They're not going to give you cash without exchanging the machine.

11. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

My bad - I misread the "9 days" (eyes not focused yet :eek:), and there is a "price match" policy within 14 days of shipment. Note the specific use of "shipment" and that this refers to the Apple Store, and no other resale channel. Additionally, it refers to the same product. A newly-released product would not qualify you for price matching.

Attached Files:

12. immemorial macrumors member

In a way, it is kind of their fault. Apple's overly secretive policy for revealing new products and pricing. It's great for building up hype, bad for screwing over existing customers.

Besides, it's not like everyone reads the rumour sites, so that whole "you should've known, there was an update coming!" excuse really doesn't hold a lot of water.

13. carbon337 macrumors newbie

i bought my macbook on Sunday - come Monday its cheaper and higher spec.

Should have waited but hindsight is marvelous! Got mine through a reseller who wont do anything about it.

14. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

So people buy a $1000 computer and don't do any research online? Wow.

15. carbon337 macrumors newbie

did research yes - but yet to see any sites that said the mb in alu was going to be discontinued and replaced with upgrade and called a 13" pro and if you know of any then id be happy to view them. link from before sunday welcome?

16. sagew macrumors member

Yup...People buy Vista PC's every day...

17. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

Call customer service or go to the store where you bought it and ask to speak to a manager, thats really the only way to find out. the worse they can do is say no... in which case you can threaten to return it since you are still within your 14 day period, but do it nicely.

18. ericvmazzone macrumors regular

Most important do not act as if you're entitled to a refund. Ask and then accept the answer.

19. immemorial macrumors member

This. I bought an MBP last week and called them up today. Got a $300 refund without arguing or anything, just asking if they could price match it. Given the hour that I waited on hold, I'm guessing a lot of people are calling for the same reason.

20. etherealsam macrumors newbie

I was at one of the Apple stores here in Portland, OR yesterday. They told me that all of the "old" models were on sale. You may be able to get a refund for the difference between what you paid and their current sale price.

21. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

22. somuchtosayx macrumors newbie

I dont think there was any secret. Onlu people who didnt expect something were people who dont know anything. EVERYONE knew WWDC was coming, so why were u o impatient? if anything you should have waited for an announcement on Snow leopard if you didnt thing refreshes were imminent. Silly boy. I wouldnt give u a refund. U bought a computer. Get over urself

23. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

I think you need to buy a new keyboard :)

24. dangerfish macrumors 6502

But he is entitled to a refund. It is Apples policy to do so. There is no need for hostility or anger. Just go to the store with your receipt and they will happily refund the difference. It is no big deal.

25. Eclipseon thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks once again everyone for your responses! My local Apple Store was kind enough to refund the difference--thanks, Apple! And, wow...didn't know that this thread would stimulate so much hostility. What the fudgies?! :eek: I already mentioned that Apple does not owe me anything; however, I merely wanted the person who bought my computer as a gift to get back what was rightfully owed.

Apologies if this thread may've made me come off as being a bit determined, but that's just my natural mindset. So everyone, let's just chill...and to those MBP (and MB) owners who feel like they've been hoodwinked...no worries...just talk with Apple (that is only if you bought your computer from the Apple Store); they'll be sure to knock everything back into alignment and put the universe back into its natural working order. :D Heee!

Oh, and btw...I'm a "she" :p Not a "he."