Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

om3ga

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 22, 2008
I've been having problems synchronizing my calendar with exchange. I notice that after Emptying the Cache I'm able to resolve this issue. my question is What is the difference between Synchronizing and Emptying the Cache?? (I ask because both do the same, I think):confused:

nadyne

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2004
Mountain View, CA USA
Emptying the cache tells Entourage to start over in that folder: it removes everything from the local store, and re-downloads it all from Exchange.

Synchronising is simply telling Entourage to check Exchange to see if there's any changes (either on the Entourage side to be sent to Exchange, or on the Exchange side to be sent to Entourage), and making the necessary changes. As a result, syncing is faster than emptying.

What problems are you having syncing with Exchange? What version of Entourage and Exchange are you using?

Regards,
Nadyne.

om3ga

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 22, 2008
Thanks man!!! now i know. many users from the company I work for (I'm IT support) are having this type of problems. ether calendar or sent Items sometimes only the Inbox will stop syncing with the exchange server. This is common calls we get on a weekly basis. we use Entourage 2008 latest update 12.1.5 with the 2007 Exchange server. I have no problem Emptying the Cache to resolve the issue but is just tedious task. :confused:

nadyne

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2004
Mountain View, CA USA
If you're seeing a lot of problems with Entourage's interaction with Exchange, you should open up a support case with your Microsoft account rep. We've got Entourage/Exchange tech support experts who can help you figure this out. Your users shouldn't have to empty their cache frequently. As you might guess, I'm an Exchange user too, and I have to empty the cache in any of my folders maybe a few times a year (and I'm running pre-pre-pre-alpha Entourage code, where we tolerate that kind of thing more!).

Also, since you mention that you're using Exchange 2007, if you're on SP1 RU4 or later, you might want to give the Entourage for Exchange Web Services beta a try. For more information about the beta, here's the announcement of it on my blog, which includes some of the goodness that Entourage EWS brings you: faster Exchange performance, attachments in calendar events, sync of notes and tasks, and lots more.

Regards,
Nadyne.

phatman007

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2009
Entourage 08 / iCal

Hi all

I am switching over from iCal to Entourage 08 and need a simple fix that allows me to synch my iCal to Entourage, can anyone help please...?

Many thanks

nadyne

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2004
Mountain View, CA USA
I am switching over from iCal to Entourage 08 and need a simple fix that allows me to synch my iCal to Entourage, can anyone help please...?

The fastest way to do it is to rename your iCal calendar to "Entourage". Then, in Entourage, go to the Preferences, select Sync Services, and click the checkbox for syncing calendars. It will grab the Entourage calendar from iCal and you'll have everything there.

Regards,
Nadyne.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.