Entourage 2004 Archiving Issues

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Walter-A, Oct 13, 2008.

1. Walter-A macrumors newbie

Since I deal with quite a few large attachments, My habit is to remove the attachments when the e-mails are moved from my inbox to the individual project folders. Since Entourage then tagged the e-mail with the name of the removed attachment, it seemed like a good way to keep my database size down. However, in testing some archived files, I noticed that all of the history information (attachments, replied, forwarded, etc...) was lost on the export. I have since tried to export and then re-import both .rge and mbox files with the same result. Is there a work around for this, or am I just up a creek?
    Also, is it possible to have more than one database file open in entourage without it wanting to merge them into a single data base?

Macbook Pro, 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. nadyne macrumors 6502a

Sorry, there's no way in Entourage to keep that kind of metadata. :(

Regards,
    Nadyne.

3. Walter-A thread starter macrumors newbie

4. nadyne macrumors 6502a

I somehow forgot to answer your other question. Entourage doesn't allow you to have more than one database/identity open at once. Were you asking that as a way to have access to all of that old data without having one database be too big?

Personally, my Entourage database is currently over 10GB. I did go on an cleaning spree a few months ago (deleting, backing up stuff, moving attachments elsewhere, etc etc etc), my database was pushing 15 GB beforehand. I don't have any database issues.

Regards,
    Nadyne.

5. antonioconte macrumors newbie

was reading your last post.

I too have 13gb of a database.

Currently, I have had to revert back to 2004 as when I tried to upgrade to 2008, it kept trying to rebuild, but always with an error in step 4.

My thinking is to reduce my database down. you mentioned backing up, exactly what is the best proceedure for this and can you easily access it again thereafter

Also, what other specific tips would you give for getting that huge database down?

thanks for your time.

6. nadyne macrumors 6502a

The easiest way to back up your database is to copy it from ~/Documents/Microsoft User Data/Office 2008 Identities/ to another location. I usually rename it when I make the copy. The identity that I use is named "nadyne", when I back it up I rename it to "nadyne - 2008-10-31" (or whatever the day's date is) so that I know when that backup was from.

Off the top of my head ...

Delete attachments from your database if you can. Save them on your hard drive somewhere, and delete them from Entourage.

If you have lots of old mail hanging around just in case you need to access it, but you don't actually access it very often, you can remove those from Entourage. One way to do so is to simply choose the folder in Entourage and drag it to your desktop. This will create a foldername.mbox file. (This won't capture any subfolders of that folder, you'll need to drag those off separately to create their own .mbox files.) You can then save that file anywhere on your hard drive you like, or you can burn it to CD/DVD, or whatever else your solution for backing up data might be. I tend to sort my mail into folders by project, so once I've completed a project and I haven't needed to access anything about that project for a few months, I'll back up those folders and remove them from Entourage. If you ever need to access the data in those .mbox files, you can simply drag the file from the Finder back into Entourage. Depending on how big the file is, it might take a minute to import back into Entourage, but you'll see the file show up in the folder list in Entourage.

After you've done all this, you should compress your database. To do so, quit out of Entourage and all of the other Office apps. Go into Applications/Microsoft Office 2008/Office/, and open up the Database Utility. Select your identity, then click on "compact database". You've got a big database, so this will probably take a few minutes.

Hope this helps!

Regards,
    Nadyne.

7. antonioconte macrumors newbie

8. antonioconte macrumors newbie

sorry, one last thing? My diary goes back a fair amount of years, is there any way of deleting up to say, 2006 etc?

Sure this will help matters too?

9. nadyne macrumors 6502a

I'm not sure what you mean by your diary. Do you mean notes? If so, you can drag individual notes (tasks too) to the Finder to back them up, and then delete them from Entourage. Most people just have plaintext in their notes and tasks, though, so I'd be surprised if this helped you very much. Plaintext doesn't take up very much space at all.

Regards,
    Nadyne.

10. antonioconte macrumors newbie

sorry, what I really mean is the calendar, it dates back to a few years back, even more.

11. antonioconte macrumors newbie

finally 2008 & updates installed, but can't receive or send? why?

ok, I've spent the last two days really trying to upgrade to 2008, really not sure why after all this hassle.

Finally after reading loads of posts about the updates not working and registering a working copy of 2008, it works out that I needed to install in Safe mode - this seems to have allowed me to install all the updates and I am now running 10.1.4. hooorah! well, kind of.

Without looking deeply, I'm finding the following two issues, first one is major:

1/ I can't send or receive emails - only way is whilst the progress panel is whirring away, looking as if its trying to connect, if I Apple Quit, whilst the panel is poped up and asking me if I really want to do this, all the accounts successfully send and receive. How odd is that?

2/ The view pane is not showing 90% of the time?

really not impressed with this.

THought that since I had an intel mbp 17" things would be faster too. how wrong was I?