Entourage 2004 messing up some emails w/attachments

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by tobefirst, Mar 26, 2009.

1. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

Help! A coworker of mine is having some trouble with Entourage. Here's the deal.

SOME emails with attachments are arriving in Entourage completely messed up. The subject is changed to <no subject>, the attachment is gone, and the body text is replaced with this:
    Code:
    script>
    var download_progress_ie_msg1 = "Transferred data bytes: ";
    try{newWin.downframe.document.writeln(download_progress_ie_msg1+"535808<BR>"
    );
    newWin.downframe.scrollTo(400000,400000);}catch(e){hEr();}
    </script>
    <script>
    var download_progress_ie_msg1 = "Transferred data bytes: ";
    try{newWin.downframe.document.writeln(download_progress_ie_msg1+"948988<BR>"
    );
    </script>
    <script>
    var scan_progress_ie_msg1 = "Scanning...>>>";
    try{newWin.downframe.document.writeln(scan_progress_ie_msg1+" <br>");
    </script>
    <script>
    newWin.downframe.document.writeln("</body></html>");
    newWin.document.writeln("</html>");
    newWin.close();
    </script>

<script>
      window.location.href =
    "http://10.5.0.30:1812/servlet/com.trend.iwss.user.servlet.sendfile?download
    file=IRE12770-994610736-2016-2016";
    </script>
    The same emails that are being messed up are fine on the Outlook Webmail site, and it isn't happening to all emails with attachments, just some. We haven't determined if there are any other similar factors in the emails.

I had him check the integrity of his database, but that was fine. And the rest of us aren't having the same problem. That, coupled with the messages being fine in the webmail seem to indicate something is wrong with Entourage, but what is it?

Any ideas?

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

"http://10.5.0.30:1812/servlet/com.trend.iwss.user.servlet.sendfile?downloadfile=IRE12770-994610736-2016-2016"

That makes me think it's something to do with Trend AV for Exchange server. Beyond that, I really don't know :eek:

3. tobefirst thread starter macrumors 68040

tobefirst

I wouldn't be surprised if it was a server issue. Our IT department hates us and is always quick to say that it is because of our Macs. However, would it be a Trend AV issue if it still shows up fine on the webmail page?

4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Yeah, could be. OWA (Outlook Web Access) is delivered over a different protocol (obviously), this may impact how the AV scans the message.

We get odd problems with messages in Outlook 2007 here at work (running off Exchange 2007), yet open these troublesome message in OWA and they're fine.

I may be way off, just my best guess from that very odd error.

edit: What happens if you paste that link (http://10.5.0.30:1812/servlet/com.t...ile?downloadfile=IRE12770-994610736-2016-2016) in to a browser window? I'm assuming that 10.5.0.30 address will be your Exchange server?

On Googling port 1812 is used for Radius Authentication. What that means exactly for you I don't know, but anyway...

5. tobefirst thread starter macrumors 68040

tobefirst

I appreciate it, edesignuk. Anyone else want to chime in?

6. nadyne macrumors 6502a

It looks like something you've got installed on your Exchange server is viewing those messages with attachments as spam and killing it off, but not doing it properly. You're going to have to convince your IT guys to take a look at it, and maybe open a tech support incident with us (or with whoever made the package you've got installed on top of Exchange that's causing this) to get it sorted out.

Regards,
    Nadyne.

7. tobefirst thread starter macrumors 68040

tobefirst

nadyne,

Thanks for the response!

I *think* that we may have fixed the problem (as a couple of the blocked emails, when resent, are now coming through), but perhaps you or someone could explain what actually happened with the "fix" we have discovered.

Of the three people in my department, the coworker having issues was the only one whose exchange server field inside of "Accounts" was a traditional IP address: 10.5.128.28. Mine, for example, says W2PEXCH2. Our other coworker had something similar to mine. So, we changed the affected coworker's exchange server to the same as my other coworkers (as I had a hunch that I was the one on a different server and they were on the same one), and now it seems to work.

How did what we change help, exactly? He was already receiving most mail via the IP address designation. How would changing it to the (to me) strangely syntaxed designation change that?

(Also, please let me know if I am sharing information that I shouldn't be sharing. I'm really not sure what some of this stuff means.) :)

8. nadyne macrumors 6502a

It's possible that your two Exchange servers aren't set up identically, so switching from one to the other will make it work. Or it's possible that the IP address that he had was pointing to another Exchange server (say, a test server) that he shouldn't've been using.

But those are all just guesses. Your IT guys would know for certain what Exchange server he was pointed at and what differences, if any, exist between them. No-one else is going to be able to really tell you what's going on.

Regards,
    Nadyne.